Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture to Photos Conversion with iMac update

I am somewhat behind and due to update my iMac from my current early 2008 model that runs OS 10.8.5 and Aperture 3.4.5 to a newer retina iMac that will of course run Yosemite. Any advice on how to prepare my photo library for this migration or will it just happen when I set up the new iMac with Yosemite? Currently my Aperture often goes into spasms if I leave it open (spinning beach ball and ultimately totally frozen computer) even if it is doing absolutely nothing and nothing else is running so I am somewhat anxious about this transition.

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 6:59 PM

2 replies

Mar 29, 2015 11:43 PM in response to Allez Epic

1. It is by no means certain that, as an Aperture user, you will be migrating to Photos.app. It is simply a less capable app in a great many ways.

2. When you do install the 10.10.3 update (and remember, it's not released yet) the Photos app will create its own library - if you choose to run it, leaving your Aperture Library untouched. There's nothing to do.

Mar 30, 2015 3:58 AM in response to Allez Epic

OOne of the new features of Photos will be, that you can have a Photo library in iCloud, synced across all devices. if you want to store a subset of your photos in iCloud this way, export a partial library from your Aperture library. then open this exported library in Photos. Photos will create a converted copy of this library.

PHots's main structure of the library will be based on Moments, organized by location and capture date. if you want to prepare a selection of your images for photos, make sure that the dates are consistent and all photos have places assigned. photos uses the location data, but does not support to add them.

Aperture to Photos Conversion with iMac update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.