Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water Stuck Behind Retina Display

I just got a new Macbook Pro mid-2012 a couple of days ago. I had it in my bag to go to school but it was raining and water spilt in my bag. I opened my laptop to find this:

User uploaded file

The computer is working just fine. Nothing wrong with it. I'm just worried that if the water stays there too long, that it'll start to affect the computer's capabilities. Any suggestions? There's no way Apple is going to help me out with this one. I just paid them over $1300 for this just last week, so I have no funds to get it fixed either. I've tried soaking it in rice, but no luck there.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 7:59 PM

3 replies

Mar 29, 2015 8:17 PM in response to laleela

"I just got a new Macbook Pro mid-2012 a couple of days ago."

So this was a refurb or bought new? Apple Care?

Water damage will void your warranty.

You need to get it repaired but Apple won't touch it and it will ...as I just said.

The front glass has to come off and the display dried out.

" I've tried soaking it in rice, but no luck there."

That's a total fantasy.

First this has to happen:

here's my standard blurb about a water incident:

"Whenever a liquid spill occurs the first thing that has to happen is the laptop should be shut down immediately. All power must be removed as soon as possible.

It is especially important that the battery be disconnected and removed.

No attempt should be made to start/restart the computer since this could potentially damage the logic board beyond all repair.

All affected parts must be removed from the laptop and carefully and closely inspected. Any involved area should be marked for special treatment.

Then all affected parts would be washed in deionized water and blown dry with compressed air. (In a water spill the deionized water is probably not as critical. Depends on the mineral content of the water.).

This is especially true of the large chips on the logic board. Liquid can wick under them and cause havoc for weeks if not months and years after the incident, depends on the liquid..

The logic board should be placed in a drying/dehumidifing oven for at least two days. Longer depending on the spill.The keyboard is a separate matter.

Water Stuck Behind Retina Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.