Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4s phone iOS8.2 on wifi network appears to be accessed via sftp-ssh

4s phone running iOS8.2

At college campus, using campus wifi.

Net Analyzer showed iphone services connected via sftp-ssh_tcp : Ports 22 and 3283.

Also Services show the same person (and one more computer) with Service connections titled

net-assisant_udp and rfb._tcp These were on Ports 3283 and 5900.

User uploaded file

Other computers appeared visible on the network but they were not ssh'ed.

I have seen this on my MBP while at school, but never have

seen what looks like a completed connection.

My phone is not jailbroken.

Thanks in Advance

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 6:05 PM

6 replies

Mar 29, 2015 6:43 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you Lawrence,

That brings me to my second question then.

Can a phone be breeched electronically?

I have not jailbroken my device, nor have I lent it to anyone.

My phone has been very erratic for the last several months (along with my MBP)

I thought I might have encountered a security breech while using hotel wireless while in NYC. (Nov)

I had my MBP rolled back prior the hacking, but am still having numerous issues.

This whole thing has been driving me crazy.

Any advice?

Mar 30, 2015 5:53 AM in response to michellegus

An iPhone can only be hacked if you have physical possession of it, and, if it is on 8.2 and has never been hacked or jailbroken, there is no hack available (yet). A WiFi security breach can be used to obtain any passwords you used on non-SSL protected sites or any email accounts that do not use SSL/TLS. It can also be used to steal credentials for any apps that communicate with their servers over unencrypted links. Unfortunately, there is no way to identify such apps without asking the app provider.

As your MBP may have been compromised, however, it could have been used remotely to hack your phone if the phone was connected to it. This is possible, but unlikely.

Best thing to do for the phone is to restore it using DFU mode and set it up as New. This is equivalent to rolling back your Mac.

DFU mode:

• Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer if it isn't there already
  • Reboot your computer
  • Disable any antivirus and firewalls
  • Launch iTunes
  • Connect the device cable to a USB port on the computer (not to a USB hub), but DO NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE YET
  • Press and hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for exactly 10 seconds, until the screen turns black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. If an Apple logo appears while holding both buttons you held for too long; start over.
  • While still holding the HOME button connect the other end of the cable to the device
  • You should see a message in iTunes saying a phone in Recovery mode has been detected. When you see that message release the HOME button and the device should restore. When asked DO NOT restore a backup; set up as a new phone.

Mar 30, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you.

After the new phone install, can I reinstall/backup anything from previous backups, or would it be more prudent to just wipe all apps and start over?

Forgive me if this is uninformed, but would the paid apps still be accessible?

Would my text message and note histories be viable?

Another concern, when I eventually get a new phone, should I take extra precautions to make sure none of this transferred to the new phone?

Thanks!

Mar 30, 2015 6:20 AM in response to michellegus

michellegus wrote:

Thank you.

After the new phone install, can I reinstall/backup anything from previous backups, or would it be more prudent to just wipe all apps and start over?

Forgive me if this is uninformed, but would the paid apps still be accessible?

Would my text message and note histories be viable?

Another concern, when I eventually get a new phone, should I take extra precautions to make sure none of this transferred to the new phone?

Thanks!

First, before doing a DFU restore go iTunes Preferences on your Mac, Devices tab, and check the box to NOT sync automatically.

Also, while there, right click on your most recent backup and select Archive. This will start a new backup the next time you back up the phone rather than overwriting the previous backup, thus leaving the previous backup intact. (This only works with a Mac, not Windows, for any future readers of this thread).

If you set up as New then it would be equivalent to starting with a new phone. You should first test that all of the problems are resolved. If they are you can try restoring your backup. If the problems come back you will have to start over with DFU mode and not restore the backup. Yes, you will lose all content that was on the phone, including texts. If you currently sync notes with iCloud they will still be available. You can reload paid apps from iTunes or by downloading them again, but you will lost any data in the apps that was not synced to the app's server (only some apps offer this).

When you get a new phone if you set it up as new you will be safe. If you have resolved the problem on the old phone then it will be safe to transfer its contents to the new phone as described here: iPhone: Transferring information from your current iPhone to a new iPhone

4s phone iOS8.2 on wifi network appears to be accessed via sftp-ssh

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.