Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone5 camera not working after iOS 8.2 update

We downloaded iOS 8.2 on our iphone5s today and now the camera won't work. It is just black. Sometimes we can scroll between photo, video etc, but most the time the whole thing is locked up. We have tried rebooting the phone. Nothing works.

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 9:22 PM

3 replies

Apr 1, 2015 10:22 AM in response to Cobmom

Same issue on my iPhone 5. Restored the phone after putting it in DFU mode, didn't fix it. Called Apple, they said to go to an Apple Store and they will replace the phone, but it won't be free.... Apple released a buggy update and recommends you pay for a new phone, A+ for customer service. Hopefully iOS 8.3 fixes the issue, if not, Andoid 5 will.

Apr 1, 2015 1:45 PM in response to judysings

The article says the following:

1. Make sure that there’s nothing blocking the camera lens. If you’re using a case, try removing it.
  2. Force the app to close, then open the Camera app again.
  3. Restart your device, then open the Camera app again.
  4. If your device has a front and rear camera, try both cameras by tapping Camera swap icon (camera swap icon). If you see the closed lens or black screen on only one camera, take your device to an Apple Retail Store or Authorized Service Provider for more help.

1. Really? The lense is not blocked.
  2. Tried that, didn't help.
  3. Tried that, didn't help.
  4. If your phone is out of warranty, then this will cost you!

The article doesn't even suggest restoring the phone. There is a problem with iOS 8.2. I am sure the article is useful to some people but for those who have started having problems since iOS 8.2, it won't help. Bugs happen, but it would be nice if Apple would admit that there is a bug and fix it as soon as possible instead of suggest replacing the phone for a software bug. A lot of people have been having problems with their camera and battery life since iOS 8.2, there are clearly some problems with the update. I bet the issues will be resolved in iOS 8.3, we will have to wait and see.

Iphone5 camera not working after iOS 8.2 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.