Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto OS Error 54 — Can photos be deleted from the desktop by deleting them from an iphone?

I'm getting the OS Status Error 54, that iPhoto can't find photos/videos that it displays. The ones that show the error match up pretty clearly with longer videos I believe I deleted off my iPhone.

But neither desktop/phone are synced with iCloud, and it seems crazy that files would be erased off the computer like that. If so... seems like pretty terrible software design.

Any thoughts?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 10:01 PM

2 replies

Mar 29, 2015 11:25 PM in response to av2247

How did the material get into iPhoto on the Mac? What's the exact error message you get? Under what circumstances?

Are you running a Managed or a Referenced Library?

A Managed Library, is the default setting, and iPhoto copies files into the iPhoto Library when Importing. The files are then stored in the Library package

A Referenced Library is when iPhoto is NOT copying the files into the iPhoto Library when importing because you made a change at iPhoto -> Preferences -> Advanced. (You unchecked the option to copy files into the Library on import) The files are then stored where ever you put them and not in the Library package. In this scenario you are responsible for the File Management.

Mar 30, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for the reply — the photos were imported through iPhoto's import feature (manually). The error pops up when I click on a thumbnail of any of a number of videos. The pictures are imported and managed within the iPhoto package structure, I think. I've opened up the package and can't find the files it can't find either...

Does that illuminate anything in any way? Thank you!

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

iPhoto OS Error 54 — Can photos be deleted from the desktop by deleting them from an iphone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.