Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello, When I type a word into my Finder search bar, it will only display some of the files that contain that word, ignoring others. Perhaps I need to install more memory? I am running OSX Mavericks 10.9.4

Hello,

When I type a word into my Finder search bar, it will only display some of the files containing that word. Why is this? Do I perhaps need more memory? I am running OS X 10.9.4 and cannot find any article for my OS X explaining how to figure out whether I need more memory. (I opened the Activity Monitor in Applications/Utilities, did not tell me anything that I thought would answer this question.) I have tried rebooting, does not help. If this is relevant: I am searching Word .docx files, using Office for Mac 2008. Word has generally worked fine on my Mac, I never had this problem. Please make any answers simple for a non-expert. Thank you!

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 2:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2015 7:53 PM

Hey srjna,

Re-indexing Spotlight may help in getting Finder to locate the files that it's not currently displaying when searching.

Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Regards,

Allen

3 replies

Apr 2, 2015 8:03 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hey Allen,

Thank you so much for your answer. I had come across references to re-indexing folders but assumed it was something way above my skill level. What a relief the article is so straightforward. I have not dared try it yet because after posting my question, and about the umpteenth re-boot, my Finder decided to start searching the particular folder I needed again. As this folder is the crucial one to a book I'm working on, I will wait to re-index until I need the folders that are still being ignored .. MS Office has been historically so temperamental on my Macbook Pro that I've become gun-shy of making changes anywhere if not forced into them. So thanks for the information which I will be so happy to have the next time the corrupted Finder search presents a roadblock. Many many thanks.. sr Joanna PS Will update again then..

Hello, When I type a word into my Finder search bar, it will only display some of the files that contain that word, ignoring others. Perhaps I need to install more memory? I am running OSX Mavericks 10.9.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.