Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 + plus reboots with a 'hangover' after battery recharge from power supply

I charge my my iPhone 6 plus overnight via a power-supply USB charger. Invariably, the next morning, there are several faults in the performance of the iPhone, which I collectively characterise as "hangover" behavior!

The most recent incident today, as part of my investigation.

- I disconnected the USB charging cable

- I called the iPhone from my landline

- I noticed the iPhone go through a restart process: the apple logo displayed, I saw a red full screen flash briefly.

- The phone call was diverted to voicemail.

- I called the iPhone two more times from the landline. Only the third call went through to the iPhone in a normal/expected fashion. I was alerted by a cellphone service provider text message that my second call had been missed.

My expectation is that after a charge, the iPhone should just be ready to operate and receive calls without my touching any buttons to check it is alive and ready to operate.

I have an iPad 2 that demonstrates none of these kinds of problems. The iPad is up and ready to go each morning after an overnight charge.

I have been keeping an irregular log of other faults I have noticed as shown in Table 1 below.

It's only after people have attempted to phone me in the morning that I realise I have had this "hangover" behaviour on my iPhone. They complained I was not answering the phone, though I had believed my phone was in an operable state. Annoying!

This was a brand new replacement iPhone 6 + provided in early March to replace an earlier version that very quickly went totally delinquent within its first two-three weeks of operation. For instance I was unable to restore the iPhone from iTunes.

I updated the iOS to 8.2 soon after receipt in March.

I notice regularly that the Settings app performs pathologically. ie: shows blank screen, crashes. Restarts app. blanks screen. Then Settings just seems to loop until I attempt restart.

Table 1: Fault log - iPhone

2015-3-20 8:03 am wifi Bluetooth failed. Fixed by restart. Tile app failed to register.

2015-03-22 App Settings not opening. Crashes shows blank screen forced to restart.

2015-03-23. Net not connected though 4g icon showing. Forced to restart. Settings not opening. Safari not searching. Notes ok.

2015-03-26. Restarted after failed to wake up. Notifications views then froze

2015-03-27 failed to turn on after overnight charge. Forced restart.

2015-03-28 ditto Unable to receive calls.

2015-03-30 unable to connect to iTunes. Settings failed to open showed 83% energy when should be full. Forced to restart. Now connects to iTunes. Charge now shows 100%

2015-03-30 Began more systematic investigation. Connected to charger. Left to sleep and charge a while. Called iPhone. iPhone failed to respond. Rebooted by itself whilst call being made. Call went to voicemail. A third call rang iPhone OK.

iMac, iOS 7.1.1, iMac11,3 (May 2011)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 10:24 PM

9 replies

Mar 29, 2015 10:53 PM in response to MyndSurfers

To make sure that this is not software related, set it back to factory settings, without using any backup data afterwards. Set up the rest of the personal settings manually and test phone. If it still does not work, this is a hardware issue and the phone has to be serviced again by Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Provider:

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

Apr 17, 2015 8:21 PM in response to Ingo2711

Thanks for your reply. I have:

Updated my iMac to Yosemite 10.10.3 - no impact.

Bought a new charging cable - no impact

Tried charging directly from my iMac in addition toi my usual charging via a wall plug socket - no impact.

I contacted Apple Support.

- A diagnostic tool sent by email grabbed info from my iPhone

- I am guided by the call centre to follow you advice, namely:

- Create manual backup to my iTunes computer

- Factory restore, which is also doing an update from iOS 8.2 to 8.3.

I will avoid restoring my manual backup for a few days and note the consequent behaviours.

In the meantime, this is the log of faults between 2015-03-30 and today, 2015-04-18

2015-03-30 Began more systematic investigation. Connected to charger. Left to sleep and charge a while. Called iPhone. iPhone failed to respond. Rebooted by itself whilst call being made. Call went to voicemail. A third call rang iPhone OK.

2015-03-31 Adjusted some settings Updated apps.

2015-04-01 Call phone whilst charging. Ok. Disconnected from charge. Settings won't open correctly blank as above. Fails to respond to call when in sleep. Ditto when awake. DARN! No obvious way to identify if iPhone is hungover unless you check Settings Unable to dial out. Restart. Settings ok. Phone ok. Suspicion: something to do with disconnecting charge cable. Try switching off power before disconnect next time. Didn't work on 2015-04-03.

2015-04-02 no overnight recharge. No problems

2015-04-03 same problem with Settings. Restart. Noticed time incorrect by 20 mins. Rechecked settings. Date. Flipped date automatic switch. Ok. During phone call. Crashed and restarted.

2015-04-05 warning of cable fault. Not Apple authorised! (Cable is Apple-supplied at time of purchase of iPhone!) Otter box broke.

2015-04-06 charged. several restarts until able to make call and recall recent missed messages. Froze during Maps whilst charging Settings also NOK

2015-04-07 No charge. Received message. Made phone call. Opened Facebook. Crashed and self restarted.

2015-04-09 Thursday. Clock shows wrong time 3:48 after charge. Still wrong time after power off.

2015-04-10 Friday. Overnight charge. Requires passcode on restart. Note Settings flags software update. Update screen blank. Notifications shows incorrect time by 30 minutes. Phone restarts several times. Shows red blank screen. Eventually restarts with incorrect time of 7:45 am compared with actual time of 8:30 pm. Restart shows settings flags sw update. iOS 8.3 downloaded but not installed. I thought I had 8.3? Check. Current version is 8.2 12D508. Check date time shows Auckland. automatic set. Stil wrong. Later. Receive calls while driving - let phone ring to answer service. Note time now corrected. 9:09 pm. Purchased 2 x Apple original charging cables.

2015-04-11 wifi not working ditto Bluetooth. Reset phone

2015-04-13 backed up to computer by cable. Message from Vodafone indicating data allowance almost used. Noticed wifi not enabled. Reset iPhone. Wifi automatically enabled on restart. New Yosemite 8.3 installed on iMac.

2015-04-17 8:35 am. No 3G connection. Time shows 11:15 pm. White screen. Slow operation. Restart corrects time and 3G enabled. Messages and notifications received.

2015-04-18 9:42 am. Crashed during facebook video playback. Auto reset. 10:12 am Failed to connect to wifi. Settings NOK. Forced reset. Wifi ok.

2015-04-18 - THE DAY TO GET THIS SORTED!

- Created manual backup to my iTunes computer

I will avoid restoring from my manual backup for a few days and note the consequent behaviours. Call scheduled with Apple on 2015-04-22.

Apr 21, 2015 2:04 PM in response to MyndSurfers

I called Apple support. The advice of Ingo2711 is essentially what was recommended. The faults still remain on the iPhone. Here is the fault log:

2015-04-18 - THE DAY TO GET THIS SORTED!

- Created manual backup to my iTunes computer 2015-04-18: 3:02 pm

I will avoid restoring from my manual backup for a few days and note the consequent behaviours. Call scheduled with Apple on 2015-04-22.

2015-04-18 Factory settings restored. iOS 8.3 installed.

2015-04-18 20:15 ok.

2015-04-19 07:19 ok. Accepted call. Wifi connected time ok.

2015-04-19 listening to podcasts and Safari. Charging in car. Froze at 11:04 am when at shopping centre. Forced reset. Showing wrong time 11:06 am when actually 12:10 pm

Recharged in car. Froze in settings. Forced reset

2015-04-20 recharge at power supply. Settings frozen. Waited. Enter passcode. Settings still frozen. Forced restart.

Frozen in Safari whilst closing tabs such as Facebook. Notes still functions. Hmm safari restarted. Old tabs recovered. Froze on NZherald? Automatic restart I think.

Charging in car. Siri maps podcasts iTunes ok. At home no wifi. Couldn't kick on using Airplane mode. Time 30 mins behind. 1946 cf 2010. About the time since end of charging and my testing. Forced reset Time still wrong. No wifi. Repeat twice. Time still 1946. Real time now 2020. Time still stuck at 1946. Realtime 2230 h

Installed Webjet app. Won't open. Clock now advancing. But incorrect. 1951 at 2255

2015-04-21. No overnight charge. Time still wrong at 21:17 realtime 0736. Forced Restart. Started incorrect time swiped to open. Flashed blue. Auto restart. Wrong time. Settings locked. White screen. Apps won't open. Forced restart. Blue flash. At last. Correct time 8:25. But wifi not enabled. Won't slide on.

Time frozen at 8:31 am realtime 11:04 am

Time self corrected around 1715 after much Safari and iTunes. No wifi. Wipe up reveal won’t work. At home. No wifi.

2015-04-22 9:00 am Expecting callback from Apple shortly. Recharged connected to iMac overnight using new cable. Still faults. No wifi. Time is correct at 9:03 am

Apr 21, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I have charged the iPhone from at least five sources:

• original iPhone mains power adapter
  • iMacs via USB cable at work and home
  • iPad mains power adapter (possibly)
  • cigarette charger in car.

I expect all to work without causing a problem.

In all cases I use Apple original cables. I tried using non-Apple cable and immediately received a warning from the iPhone that the cable was not authorised. (Quite clever, I thought).

I just finished a call with Apple Customer Support. The advice was "You need an Excorcist!"

I am about to try another factory reset.

Apr 21, 2015 4:03 PM in response to MyndSurfers

2015-04-22 Expecting callback from Apple shortly.

Recharged connected to iMac overnight using new cable. Still faults. No wifi.Time is correct at 9:03 am

Rest. Time now lags by 8 mins.

2015-04-22 Callback with Apple US via Australia.

Consultant suggests I need an Exorcist. Attempted diagnostic iOS. Extended form unavailable since no wifi access on phone (unable to enable). Diagnostic identifies faulty wifi. Options for action from now on: Migrate service request to senior advisors. Replace with new machine by mail. Take into service store.

In preparation for service call scheduled for 12:15 pm NZT, I conduct a factory reset using near new cable. Same constellation of problems: No wifi. No bluetooth. Time shows 10:20 am but realtime 10:53 am. Time to call upon exorcist and/or senior Apple consultants.

2015-04-22 Awaiting Callback with Apple Australia at 12:15 pm NZT.

Apr 21, 2015 6:01 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

That's an interesting hypothesis.

To minimise the risk for the charger being a source of the fault, in future I will avoiding using my cigarette charger. I will replace with a Belkin device purchased from the Apple store. The current cig charger I use was purchased to be iPad compatible (high watt) from a BP Service station.

See http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/06/19/third-party-chargers-lightning-cables- reportedly-damage-iphone-power-management-ic-

iPhone 6 + plus reboots with a 'hangover' after battery recharge from power supply

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.