Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Editing disk partition

Hi all,

I'm having trouble adding space to one of the Hard Disk. Image reference below. I created a "Backup" partition and realised it wasn't enough so I wanted to expand it. I shortened the "Macintosh HD", and I thought I could expand the backup partition. Apparently not.

Is there a way I can get this missing space back to Macintosh HD? I tried to expand Mac HD and press apply, but it doesn't work. Please help. Thanks.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 12:40 AM

1 reply

Apr 1, 2015 2:13 PM in response to furrman

Hey furrman,

I see that you have some questions about enlarging a partition on your hard drive. I have found some information that will be relevant to you regarding this question:

To enlarge a partition, you must delete the partition that comes after it on the disk and then move the partition’s end point into the freed space. You can’t enlarge the last partition on a disk.

Disk Utility 12.x: Partition a disk

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH5845

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Have a good one!

-Braden

Editing disk partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.