Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 beeps, black screen, can not reboot

I purchased a new MacBook Pro January 2014, running Yosemite. Suddenly today a series of lines appeared on the screen with the Apple logo it looked like page was scrolling up then the screen went dark. When I try to turn off and restart it three beeps happen again. I called Apple and they try to walk me through rebooting three different ways each time nothing just three beeps. Earliest appointment with Apple Store is Wednesday, April 1. I searched forum earlier & found a post saying google drive is the problem. I think this might be my issue because every time I start up my computer I get a pop up saying Google Drive has quit unexpectedly I am having difficulty typing this from my phone so please excuse the grammar and punctuation.

This is pretty devastating to me as a small business owner needing to send out invoices. I have an appt Weds but figured it can't get any worse posting here. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 11:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 12:25 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

That does not look like a software issue. Moreover, those beeps indicate a hardware problem related to RAM memory, so the whole logic board has to be replaced at the Apple Store. Fortunately, your Mac is in warranty, but the repair may take some days as near everything has to be changed (you should not lose your files, but I highly hope you have a backup of your files).

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2015 12:25 PM in response to miss415

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

That does not look like a software issue. Moreover, those beeps indicate a hardware problem related to RAM memory, so the whole logic board has to be replaced at the Apple Store. Fortunately, your Mac is in warranty, but the repair may take some days as near everything has to be changed (you should not lose your files, but I highly hope you have a backup of your files).

Mar 30, 2015 11:14 AM in response to mende1

What would cause something like that to happen to a new machine? BUt there was a thread in these forums from 2014 in which hundreds of users posted from Feb - Oct about this same problem - initially they thought the problem was what you suggested- but it ended up being an issue with Google drive. I wish I could post a link but Im using my phone. The fact that I was getting. Pop up every time I rebooted about Google drive seems more than coincidental doesn't it? There was also a thread about this same issue in the google forums posted by many Mac users.

Does anyone know if there Is there a way for me to disable google drive from another computer?

Apr 1, 2015 12:48 PM in response to miss415

So my machine has started up twice now while on a flat surface. I keep it on a "rain design mstand" purchased at the apple store so it it always situated at a slant- wondering if this could be the cause of my problem since I do not ever move it or take it with me anywhere- I treat it like a desktop.

I don't have a blog where I cant rant so I'll say it here- My macbook was a major investment for me. It is very disappointing that it failed me at a critical time (invoicing clients) and having to wait several days for an appointment further adds to my frustration. I expected much more for the money I paid.

I have my appointment this evening at 6pm so I will update about what they say. Hopefully they will have some answers on the cause & how to avoid this.

Thanks again mende1.

Apr 2, 2015 11:04 PM in response to miss415

When I took it in to the Apple Store, again on the flat surface, it started right up. The guy ended up taking my macbook in the back to open it up & "re-seat the RAM". It took him about 10 minutes. He said it "might" have something to do with keeping it at a slant all the time on the rain stand and to keep it on a flat surface.

Apr 8, 2015 5:49 PM in response to miss415

⚠I need to update on this one final time- After my 1st visit, same thing started happening again less than 24 hours later. Had to wait 2 more days for an appointment, just got my macbook back the following day (they said 3-5 days - WHAT EXCELLENT SERVICE!). they replaced my logic board, optical drive & 8GB of memory. No extra charge- AppleCare I love you.😍

MENDE1 WAS RIGHT! I screwed up in this thread when I was working on my phone. I wish I could edit & give credit where credit is due! Thank you for answering!

3 beeps, black screen, can not reboot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.