Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Z key on keyboard not working

Recently cleaned my keyboard with a multi-surface cleaner and cloth (which I now realise was a bad idea). Initially the Z key would stick, but now the Z key doesn't work at all. To resolve this I have flipped the key off and cleaned thoroughly with 99.7% pure Isopropanol. I have also done the obvious disconnect/reconnect the keyboard, powered the Mac off and back on.

It's a Mac Bluetooth keyboard, and I know I could but a new one for £40-50 on eBay but I wondered if anyone had any other suggestions, or if anyone knows if Apple offer a keyboard repair service (my apple care product expired on 28th Feb and they want to charge me £25 just to ask that question).

Any help would be appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 3:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 3:25 AM

If this is a self administered problem, your Apple care would not have covered you any way. Apple specifically advise you not to clean the keyboard with a liquid. I do understand why you did what you did but it seems to me that the initial problem was caused by the multi surface cleaner, whatever that was. I guess it could have been a small piece of grit initially.

Apple do not have any kind of exchange arrangements or a keyboard repair service unless you were able to take it to an authorised Apple dealer, where they would certainly look at it.

Sorry to seem so negative but the rule is Electronics and Liquids do not happily live together.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2015 3:25 AM in response to thelingards

If this is a self administered problem, your Apple care would not have covered you any way. Apple specifically advise you not to clean the keyboard with a liquid. I do understand why you did what you did but it seems to me that the initial problem was caused by the multi surface cleaner, whatever that was. I guess it could have been a small piece of grit initially.

Apple do not have any kind of exchange arrangements or a keyboard repair service unless you were able to take it to an authorised Apple dealer, where they would certainly look at it.

Sorry to seem so negative but the rule is Electronics and Liquids do not happily live together.

Mar 30, 2015 4:12 AM in response to thelingards

Just out of interest, there is a little test you can do. Go to Systems prefs > Keyboard > check the box 'Show in Menu bar', When it shows, click on Character / Keyboard viewer in menu bar > show Keyboard > then press the z key. Does it light up in the keyboard picture? Then do the same for the capital Z key. Does that light up? Then press any other key > does that light up. This will confirm if the key / (keyboard) is at fault.

Thank you for the star. I wish I could have helped more.

Z key on keyboard not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.