Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i get my mail messages from old ipad to new ipad?

I've just upgraded my ipad to ipad air.

I backed up the older one via iTunes and then restored to the new one. Apps and music are good but there is no content in my Mail.

How can I get the old mail messages to the new ipad ?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (MM), iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 29, 2015 11:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 2:12 AM

About 99% of mail providers use the IMAP protocol nowadays. The Mail app is essentially a window into the contents of your mail account, all of which remains in the server. If you're using Microsoft (Hotmail, Exchange, Outlook, Office365), check in Settings / Mail, Contacts, Calendars / <your mail account> / Mail Days to Sync that it is set to No Limit or something sufficiently far back.

BTW, was the backup you made in iTunes encrypted with password? If not, many of the fine-tune settings such as these as well as passwords do not get saved for security reasons. If that is the case, you still have the old iPad and you have not done things in the new that you don't mind losing, maybe it would be more convenient to redo the backup, ensuring it does have a password this time, wipe the new iPad clean and redo the Restore.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2015 2:12 AM in response to Peterf58

About 99% of mail providers use the IMAP protocol nowadays. The Mail app is essentially a window into the contents of your mail account, all of which remains in the server. If you're using Microsoft (Hotmail, Exchange, Outlook, Office365), check in Settings / Mail, Contacts, Calendars / <your mail account> / Mail Days to Sync that it is set to No Limit or something sufficiently far back.

BTW, was the backup you made in iTunes encrypted with password? If not, many of the fine-tune settings such as these as well as passwords do not get saved for security reasons. If that is the case, you still have the old iPad and you have not done things in the new that you don't mind losing, maybe it would be more convenient to redo the backup, ensuring it does have a password this time, wipe the new iPad clean and redo the Restore.

Mar 30, 2015 4:18 AM in response to Courcoul

Thanks Courcoul. The Mail setting for delete from server is never, but I'm guessing the ISP only saves them on the server for a month. I only got about three weeks worth when I fired up Mail.

I'm hoping there's a better way than send them back to myself before ditching the old iPad.

I haven't noticed any issues with the non-encrypted backup but will try your suggestion and post the result.

how do i get my mail messages from old ipad to new ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.