Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

selling macbook

I purchased a macbook pro about a year and a half ago and haven't been happy with it. I've decided to sell it. I deauthorized in iTunes, wiped the hard drive with 7 passes, then reinstalled Yosemite, and it is at the beginning screen where it asks to select a language.

I looked at another discussion in the support community and it says that when selling a Macbook the original operating system that came with it should be installed on it when selling it. I don't believe that I had Yosemite installed on it when I got it, but not sure what I had or how to reinstall the previous system?

Also, since the OS came preinstalled with the macbook (I didn't get a backup CD), the operating system is included under my apple ID in the app store. If a person buys my macbook and wants to do a fresh install, how do they do so since it wont be associated with their apple ID? Is there a way to transfer it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 1:49 AM

12 replies

Mar 30, 2015 3:01 AM in response to jpkulusic

If your MBP came with disks, then the disks should be used to install the original OSX.

If your MBP came with Lion OSX (10.7) or later, Boot the MBP with the OPTION + COMMAND + R keys.

The display should show a spinning globe.

By following the directions you will be connected to the apple servers and be able to install the original OSX that came with the MBP.

A solid Internet connection will be required.

Ciao.

Mar 30, 2015 11:50 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you to both of you!

Ogelthorpe, I found similar directions online but am having issues with them.

It didn't come with disks but came preloaded with Mountain Lion.

I initially did what you said using OPTION + COMMAND + R keys, and it worked, but it asked for my apple ID to download and reinstall Yosemite and didn't have an option for Mountain Lion. So I reinstalled Yosemite. Then I decided I wanted to wipe the drive to erase anything as far as bank information, etc., and to reinstall the OS again after doing that.

So I wiped the drive, and then when I went to reinstall the OS again it said "install Mountain Lion." Then when I clicked install an error message came up saying something along the lines of "can't find data on this device, contact apple support."

Luckily I had a flashdrive with Yosemite on it that I had downloaded to previously when I updated from Maverick to Yosemite, so I reinstalled that again, but even then it asked me for my apple ID and password to reinstall Yosemite. I don't want my apple ID and password to be in anyway associated with this computer.

So, I'm wondering how to install Mountain Lion rather than Yosemite since that is what came with it (if that is really necessary), and also how do I not have my Apple ID associated with the install since I don't want my info to be associated with the computer that I'm selling?

Mar 30, 2015 12:07 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

These were the steps I followed:

1) I had Yosemite installed

2) Erased hard drive but didn't wipe

3) Went to reinstall OS (using comand +R + power) and it gave me the option to install Yosemite but not Mountain Lion.

4) Installed Yosemite

5) Erased & Wiped SSD with 7 passes

6) went to reinstall OS, but this time I had the option to install Mountain Lion

7)Tried to install mountain lion but received error message saying that "device couldn't be verified"

8) installed backup of Yosemite I had saved

Mar 30, 2015 2:49 PM in response to TheSnapDude

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181701923175?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m15 58.l2649

I'm seeing other macs with the same specs (minus the broken screen) selling for $1000-1200. I have the minimum bid set at $690 and buy it now for $900.

I've looked at repairing the LCD and see that it will cost about $200 if I do it myself (apple wants a ridiculously high amount for them to do it which I refuse to pay).

I'm listing it for a few hundred less than the others because of the screen, I have about a dozen people watching it and making offers. I'm pretty firm on what I'm asking though. If it doesn't sell this time around on ebay I will install a new screen myself and list it for the $1000-1200.

Mar 30, 2015 3:10 PM in response to jpkulusic

Did you see a 4 option menu such as this, prior to the Mt. Lion install pane?

User uploaded file

Prior selecting the reinstall option, did you select Disk Utility and erase the HDD?

If so, then you have to do what the error message says and go to an Apple store. I know that they have the ability to install the original OSX. It will be done for FREE.

If not you may try again.

Ciao.

Mar 30, 2015 7:26 PM in response to jpkulusic

I thought I'd give it one more try and was able to figure it out. I was connected through a different internet connection (different router), and it allowed me to install Mountain Lion without the error. I don't know why it made a difference, but the only thing I can think is that maybe the Mac was connected to the first router but the first router didn't have an internet connection. It was showing that it was connected to that router and the error didn't indicate that there wasn't an internet connection, but that's all I can think of that would have changed.

selling macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.