Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp assistant doesn't restarts to the Windows installer. Macbook pro 13" (early 2015)

I'm trying to install windows 8.1 on my new macbook pro 2015, things are good until I got to the point after I chose the size of partition then mac restarts. It supposed to reboot to windows installer as described in step 4 below, but it boots into mac.

I was able to install the windows to my macbook air before without a problem, hope someone could suggest what I did wrong here.

Followed exact steps from here - How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support

1. Check System Requirements

Some versions of Windows require a certain processor, and more hard drive space and memory (RAM) than others. Check the documentation that came with your copy of Windows to find out what you need. Then use System Information to see what your Mac currently has.

2. Create a disk image of your Windows disc

When you purchase Windows, it either comes as a disk image file (ISO) or as an installation disc. If your copy of Windows came on a DVD, you should create a disk image of your installation disc.

3. Open Boot Camp Assistant

Boot Camp Assistant walks you through installing Windows on your Mac. Open this app from the Utilities folder in the Applications folder and follow the onscreen instructions to automatically repartition your startup disk and download related software drivers for Windows. When prompted, connect your USB flash drive.

4. Format your Windows partition

When you complete the assistant, your Mac restarts to the Windows installer. When you're asked where you want to install Windows, select the BOOTCAMP partition, then click Format.

5. Install Windows

Follow the onscreen prompts to finish your Windows installation.

6. Restart your computer

After Windows is installed, you can switch between OS X and Windows. Use the Startup Disk preference pane in OS X, or the Boot Camp system tray item in Windows to select your startup disk, then restart your computer

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 2:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 4:28 AM

Ok, I finally got the problem solved. It didn't mention anywhere that I have to restart and holding down the 'option' key, then go to EFI boot... hope it'll help someone with the same issue.

Cheers!

5 replies

Sep 3, 2015 3:42 PM in response to rxhw

Is that true. That's not what the instructions for Bootcamp say. They say:

Boot Camp Assistant copies support software to the USB drive, creates a Windows partition named BOOTCAMP, restarts your Mac, then opens the Windows installer.

Based on that, I would expect that Boot Camp Assistant does the restarting of my Mac and into Windows installer. Mine is not doing that and I don't know what to do, because I've tried doing the manual restart with Option then selecting the Bootcamp partition and starting Windows 10 install, but it fails halfway through and restarts, going back into Mac. I have a 12" Macbook 2015 with Windows 10 full install on a 64 Gb Flash Drive created thru Boot camp with the latest software and drivers.

Sep 3, 2015 4:09 PM in response to Loner T

It says this, about 5 seconds after answering the setup questions for Windows 10 and pressing Next:

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you.

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error.

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I've tried reinstalling 4 times now, each time from scratch with Bootcamp, but no go.

Bootcamp assistant doesn't restarts to the Windows installer. Macbook pro 13" (early 2015)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.