Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost iPhoto and all my photos

Before the arrival of my new iMac due to damaging my old one, I decided to delete some photos and tidy them up a bit so that the migration would be faster. In my launchpad suddenly two iPhoto icons appear and one said iPhoto (copy). Unfortunately I deleted this without checking it and emptied the trash can which then said 'deleting 3500 photos'. I had deleted a lot of photos so did not realise that I was deleting all my photos and let it continue. When I fired up the mac the next morning the iPhoto would not open and made me set up a new library which of course had nothing in it! Before you ask;

1) I had not backed them up (I know feel free to shout at me!!). You will be pleased to know I have now bought an external HD BIG lesson learnt.

2) I have tried to rebuild iPhoto following advice on the forums, this just rebuilt the new one.

3) I have tried to find the old iPhoto file by following advice on apple support and you tube.

4) I have recovered some photos from photo stream and luckily I had lots on Facebook that I have been able to pull through. I still have about 2000 missing

Everyone I speak to says don't worry it should be on your hard drive! But I am worried because I can't see anything anywhere that relates to my old file. Any help or advice would be GRATEFULLY received.

iMac

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 2:28 AM

29 replies

Apr 3, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Wyndywoman

I am assuming you have been backing up your computer using Time Machine, if you have then simply use TM to restore iPhoto and your iPhoto library.

If you have not and have not emptied the Trash, then simply open Trash, right click on the files and apps you want to restore and select Put Back.

Finally, if you happen to NOT be using TM, this is extremely foolish and risky as you are putting your data (photos, music, financial info, etc...) at risk. All TM requires is an external HD and turning on TM. If you are not familiar with TM please click Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

Apr 3, 2015 1:56 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi

Thanks for responding however your response does not help me or fix my problem.

Please read my initial post where I did advise that I did NOT back up and yes I know this is foolish and thank you for reminding me how foolish I have been 😠 however reminding me of this does not help me recover my files. If you had read my initial post you will see that I advised that I had emptied the trash, so your second point does not help me either.

I REALLY appreciate the lecture on how I should have done things, and have learned a BIG lesson and purchased an external HD and I am now using TM (again I said this in my initial post) however I am looking for a response that can give me some advice on how I CAN recover my photos after I have been so foolish.

If you have some advice that CAN HELP me recovery my files I would really appreciate your advice. 😕

Apr 3, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Wyndywoman

CSOUND is correct.

Get a copy of Data Rescue 4 by PROSOFT.

I have used older versions in the past with some success.

However, if this is a hardware failure of the hard drive, no data recovery software would be able to recover much data.

I lost the magnetic heads to a laptop drive many years ago and nothing worked.

Of course the computer would not boot either.

Be sure to read the directions before loading any software including Data Rescue.

You want to avoid using that machine so data that you want is not overwritten.

Good luck.

After doing this, be sure to get a pair of external hard drives.

Use one for time machine.

Use the other for a SuperDuper bootable back up.

Finally, sign up for an internet back up service such as Crash Plan.

With three backup schemes, your data should be preserved for many years.

If one mechanically fails the other backup should work.

If your computer systems and hard drives are destroyed by a fire or stolen, the internet backup will save you.

Apr 3, 2015 3:56 PM in response to Lukcresdera

Thank you good advice, I need it!!

Funnily (I know you will be shocked now 😊) I used to back up to BT Vault on an old Sony computer. Don't suppose you know how long they keep your files for once you cancel a contract? I was wondering if I could recover my pictures from BT but then thought that they may get rid of your stuff if you cancel your contract.

Apr 15, 2015 7:30 AM in response to Wyndywoman

Wyndywoman wrote:

Bootwell turned up today, started recovery. Will take 6 hours. Fingers crossed. Thank you for your help. I am presuming if this does not work then I have lost them?

Not necessarily, but the next step gets expensive, probably more than $1,000.00, the services of a professional data recovery company, so let's hope the next step won't be needed.

The data recovery software may or may not find and recover them, and they may have lost their filenames, but you may get some, maybe all back,c

Again, good luck

Lost iPhoto and all my photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.