Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which MB Pro to buy?

Hi,

I need to replace my old MB Pro. It's many years old and has served me well. It's a workhorse and just won't quit. However it has gotten very slow and is starting to show other signs that it's time for a new one.

I am trying to compare the three MB Pros now available: 13", 13" with retina and the 15".

-My main question is speed. Which is fastest given the specs it comes with out of the box?

-Screen doesn't matter too much as I use an external Apple Cinema Display screen. I am a photographer. There are times when I'll have just the computer (traveling) but usually I have the big external screen. Are all compatible with that? I really can't afford a new external screen and I'd have to get two for two locations. The computer has to have a port that accepts the Cinema Display's cable, which has two square sets of nine pins. Cinema Display also needs firewire and usb ports.

-I don't need CD drive. I do need several usb ports.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 5:09 AM

11 replies

Mar 31, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Phinney

HI Phinney!

I had the same question before I bought my MacBook Pro. My requirements were the fastest processor, a big display and good graphics.

What appealed to me was the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina display. I selected the 2.5Ghz model. It has decent RAM @16GB and two graphics cards.

The Nvidia GeForce and Intel Iris Pro. When I got it I was glad that I had made a good decision. though I was inclined towards the 13" because it was cheaper,

I realized that a big screen was what I wanted. You don't strain yourself or anything and the Notebook just doesn't lag.

Its really up to you-- You could go for a 13" and max out everything (if you are going to be using a display for most of the time) or a 15" and max out.

The 15" maxed out should cost you about $3000 give or take.

Also, don't forget apple care as this small amount can save your $3000 worth of a machine

Matt

Mar 31, 2015 5:51 PM in response to Matt_Raj

Thank you Matt and RRFS. Appreciate it.

I know this sounds dumb but I don't know what 'max out' means with respect to this. I know max out means get the tops, the best, the most….. but specifically are you referring to the processor? Memory? Storage? On what features should I choose the top level option? Again, just as it affects speed and function and capacity.

Does anyone know if my Apple Cinema Display is compatible with with a new MB Pro? I can call Apple on that.

Thanks again.

Mar 31, 2015 6:20 PM in response to Phinney

I think they are referring to the RAM (random access memory), that is, the more you ask the computer to do, the quicker it can to it with more RAM. so the 16gb RAM is max on the 13".

don't you use your external display thru a thunderbolt connection now? I would guess they are all compatible thru a specific Thunderbolt adapter.

the processor and the memory work together and so you can downgrade one, upgrade the other, the end result maybe comparable. if you go with a quad-core processor and less memory, you have more processing power. I would go with a computer you can "grow" into. we all upgrade because we see our demands increasing, our ability to use it getting better, and ultimately the computer seems slower ( as we grow "out" of them.) whatever you get I would go with the quad core processor and 16bg ram, better graphics. not sure what your price point.

I'm self taught and only know enough to be dangerous. good luck!!

amy

Apr 1, 2015 4:36 AM in response to amethgr8

Thanks Amy. Not sure if it's a Thunderbolt connection, it has two sets of nine pins arranged in squares. I can check that out with Apple and yes hopefully there's an adapter if no port on the new MBP.

Ok, so the more RAM the better and I should get at least 16 on the RAM.

One question -- are the 13" models just as fast and powerful as the 15" models? The only difference being the physical dimensions? Or is the 15" model also faster and more powerful? Thanks again.

Apr 24, 2015 3:30 PM in response to Phinney

It depends on your configuration a 13" with the fastest processor option at 3.2 GHz and 16 GB of ram might be using power more and not that good because the processor is rated very high. the 15inch on the other hand, runs at 2.5 but can boost upto 4.0GHz if need. this will definitely increase the life of the machine. also, as every engineer knows, the more space components have, the better they perform.

I Would suggest the 15inch. And don't forget apple care for extended support And warranty care.

its worth it!

regards,

matt

Which MB Pro to buy?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.