Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Question

Hi,

I followed the Boot Camp Assistant instructions for installing Windows 8.1 on my iMac Retina 27" 5K OS X Yosemite. Everything seemed to work as described. I created an .iso image of Windows on a 64 GB USB 3.0 flash drive; created the partition and selected the Boot Camp partition and format. Within a few it returned to the select partition screen and indicated it could not install Windows on said partition. ( I do not recall exact wording of error.) That was were I had to stop last night.

This morning, I checked Disk Utility and it shows the partition I created, as Untitled and it is the correct size and the Macintosh HD. It also shows the flash drive with WININSTALL on it. However, when I opened Boot Camp Assistant it took me to the Select Tasks window on which Remove Windows 7 or later version is the only option checked. I have gone no further.

Is there a way to try to complete the Windows installation? Have I missed something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 4:25 AM

3 replies

Mar 30, 2015 5:06 AM in response to ClarkG

not 100% sure but from other posts I've come under the impression that you can't use usb3 for this they require a driver which is not available at the boot time

you can try using search or looking under [More like this] under your post for other sources to verify my impression is correct

or you can try changing to an usb2 to see if it works better

Mar 30, 2015 5:12 AM in response to ClarkG

You can try this. Power cycle you Mac and hold the Alt/Option Key. If your USB installer was created correctly, you should see two options, Windows and EFI Boot. Try Windows first (which uses the legacy BIOS/MBR method). If you get an error for inappropriate partitioning mismatch (GPT vs MBR), repeat and choose EFI Boot.

BCA is expected to allow an EFI installation on UEFI-compliant machines, but seems to behave inconsistently.

Mar 30, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks.

I tried Windows first and it failed in the same fashion stating "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition."

I then tried EFI Boot and it worked. I will not profess to having an understanding of any of this but apparently, it worked and I am indeed appreciative.

Boot Camp Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.