Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wet iPad jack - help! It thinks I have headphones plugged in

I had a beer in my rucksack and it exploded all over my macbook, ipad and books!

Some of the beer got in the headphone jack of the ipad mini 2 retina (just a wifi one). It works, but thinks I have headphones plugged in, which I don't! It plays music through the headphones when I have them plugged in.

Can someone help?

My macbook is fine.

Thanks

iPad Mini, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 6:24 AM

Hi Try & clean with a small cotton bud. Check Brian

3 replies

Mar 30, 2015 6:26 AM in response to bmpink

Glad to hear that your MacBook is fine.

If beer got into the headphone jack and dried there you have a sticky situation. The headphone jack is difficult to clean and liquid damage is not covered under the ipad's warranty. If you bought AppleCare + when you bought the iPad, and your AppleCare+ is still in effect I would have an Apple technician examine your device. The cost for repair will be minimal. Make an appointment at an Apple Store to have your device examined by a technician. Or contact Apple Support. Be sure to back up your device before taking or sending it to Apple.

If you didn't purchase AppleCare + you might try a thin damp cloth on a toothpick to try an clean the headphone port. Also make sure the headphone jack itself is clean. Another option might be to insert and remove the headphone jack wiping it clean each time. Perhaps you can free up the little switch inside the port that turns off the volume to the iPad when headphones are used.

Wet iPad jack - help! It thinks I have headphones plugged in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.