Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to auto wrap text iPhone 6

How to get the iPhone 6 to auto wrap text? Tired of squinting, zooming, dragging screen left, right, up, down. I cant find this function anywhere in any settins.

In fact, just to type this is a pain in the arse with no text wrapping.

Is there anything to help or am i am I missing something?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 6:46 AM

15 replies

Mar 31, 2015 8:17 AM in response to Scary Barry

The ability of text strings to wrap on a screen depends on the underlying code. In the case of a DIV or similar tag on a website, wrapping may coded out of the specific tag, it could be a graphic and not text, or the size of a text input set to a specific value (text will not wrap in a text input until it hits the end of the allotted space. In all cases it indicates a web site that is not set up to handle mobile device access or is not capable of recognizing the iPhone as a mobile device. Really not much you can do about that. As for mail question, not quite clear what you mean, but if it is an incoming email, pretty much the same applies to a degree.

Mar 31, 2015 9:26 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately after doing a lot of additional searches I can see others have the same problem.

Text wrapping is very old technology.

All my other devices do it. Old and new. (Really old Nokia with old symbian OS wraps automatically)

Even just a plain text email can not wrap on this iphone 6.

So one has to squint or be constantly moving the text around if you zoom it.

Analyzing the same emails on my other devices (Android phone, tablet, windows and symbian) all wrap the text.

iphone 6 = no.

Doh!

Mar 31, 2015 10:44 AM in response to Scary Barry

Not seeing that at all. Try a reset: Simultaneously hold down the Home and On buttons until the device shuts down. Ignore the off slider if it appears. Once shut down is complete, if it doesn't restart on it own, turn the device back on using the On button. In some cases it also helps to double click the Home button and close all apps BEFORE doing the reset.

Apr 1, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

Hmmm....that's strange, so many others I have talked to and also seen here on these discussion boards also have the same issue as i do.

As for doing a "full restore" that is out of the question as I just bought this phone, completely new and out of the box never used direct from Apple.

Shouldn't have to do something like that. Restore to what? It is new. I am using everything stock. No additional special apps.

Anyway, I don't have time for this. For this much money, it should work. Immediately. No fuss.

Thanks for your help and replies.

I will be moving on...back out of the Apple scene. Definitely not what it is all cracked up to be. Too many issues and negatives.

Cheers,

SB

Apr 1, 2015 7:48 AM in response to Scary Barry

If you purchased it in the last 14 days you should have no problem returning it for a full refund. I'm sitting at a table full of iPhone 6 users and none of us are having the issue you describe. You can search for problems on anything on the internet and find people having problems. You should do a search of all the cell phones that are currently sold and only buy one where no user is reporting a problem it will save you a lot of time later.

Oct 2, 2015 6:48 AM in response to Kilgore-Trout

KKilgore, you just said earlier in this thread that your text wraps just fine!. You also told the original poster that you were sitting at a table full of iPhone 6 users and none of them were having his same problems. Now you are trying to tell me the phone is working as designed? The poster was asking about zooming in while on Safari and in his Mail. I also cannot zoom in and have text wrap correctly in either of those programs. It is interesting to me, that I can do it on my iMac. I just choose 'zoom text only' . I would think if Apple can make it work on one product they can make it work on all products. And according to you, it does work.

Oct 2, 2015 7:27 AM in response to amyohio

The Zoom function will cause text to wrap. That's not its intended purpose: it zooms to a specific section of the screen/page to give you an up close look at it. The function is localized and has no effect on changing the CSS or other html on the page which controls how text and other elements are displayed (and which will or will not allow text wrapping on a coded element depending on design; most not set up for mobile devices will not). It should, in most cases expand if you change the screen orientation, but that will obviously be limited. In some cases, a web page will have an alternate mobile or small device layout which does allow for a more comprehensive wrap of text within certain parameters (this site does not).

It is a limitation of using smaller devices in a world where the sites and formatting often not yet caught up to the end client device technology.

Th OP also mentioned plain text not wrapping. That is an entirely different issue. Plain text does wrap with no problem. But email is not always plain text (very often it isn't) and will wrap or not wrap depending on whether it is html encoded and how that encoding is handled. If the encoding prevents text wrap and defines a specific width, it will not wrap. If it doesn't wrap, it isn't plain text. Using the zoom function will not change this (see above comment).

How to auto wrap text iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.