Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp WIndows 7 can't get pass installation because keyboard won't work

Hello Apple Community 😀

I am in a bit of an impass, and the past few weeks have been ponctuated with a lot of work to solve my problem.

I am trying to install Windows 7 (Professional 64 bits) on my Late 2013 21.5inch iMac, and have been struggling with the first step : Windows installation.

Here's the problem : I am able to boot up on WIndows OS after partitionning my hard drive (Using Bootcamp 5), and I checked the "Install latest windows drivers". WIndows loads up, I use a USB key as my Boot Drive, and my first attempt, Keyboard and Mouse don't respond. Even if I change usb port, put the Boot USB Key in another port, and even praying to the Bootcamp Lord won't do anyhing 😟

At last, I redo the whole thing after reading that the order of the Bootcamp setup (Make a Windows Boot-up Key, check the latest driver and AFTER Partition the Hard Drive in another process) and guess what ! IT WORKS ! Windows Boots up, the files decompress into my hard drive, and even get Windows in my OS choices if I hold Alt at the Mac boot-up. But then, when it comes to the time of giving a name to the computer and other (Which is still in the installation process, but doesn't require the USB Key because Windows is officialy installed) Keyboard and Mouse doesn't respond. Nothing,

I have the latest drivers installed in my windows support files on the USB key, and Keyboard worked when I was in the file installing process, so My only guess is that because the USB Key had the latest drivers, The first phase of the installation worked but when I am using windows "officialy" on my hard drive, the drivers just haven't installed.

Can't install drivers because I am still on intallation process, and can't access Safe mode because I am STILL IN THE INSTALLATION PROCESS.

Help me please 😮 😮 😮

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 5:55 AM

5 replies

Mar 30, 2015 7:23 AM in response to Metalraph

USB3 flash drives do not work, because Windows does not have USB3 drivers. USB3 drivers are installed after BC drivers are fully installed. You need to use USB2 flash drive for the BC drivers. You can check if the device is USB2 or USB3 and check System Report -> USB. If the device shows up in High-speed it is USB2 otherwise it is USB3.

Mar 30, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Loner T

That's what I tought too ! A little question, i'm afraid it may sound stupid 😮 : Are there USB3 ports, and others are USB2 ports ? Because what you're telling me is to check if my keyboard is USB3, and then what ? I can't just plug it in another port (Which i believe is kind of limited on an iMac 😉 ). Do i just install an USB2 driver on my BC Boot USB key, and delete the other USB3 Drivers ? And just to be clear, I used my keyboard and Mouse on windows setup, it just stopped working when I got to the point of registration (Naming my computer, giving the serial number) So i just think that my Boot flash drive made my USB3 Keyboard and Mouse compatible, but WIndows itself just can't handle'em. Just need a litlle more clarty 😉

Mar 30, 2015 8:55 AM in response to Metalraph

All the ports support both USB2 and USB3 devices on the OSX side. The Windows Installer does not have USB3 drivers. These drivers are in the BC Drivers package once Windows and BC drivers are fully installed. The installer can only support USB2 devices. Your Keyboard/Mouse (if not Bluetooth variety) can be checked for compatibility on the OSX side by looking in System Report -> USB and if they show up under the High-Speed bus, then they are USB2. The USB device which is used to store the Windows Installer, if supported, must be a USB2 device, similar to your KM and show up under High-Speed bus, not the Super-speed bus.

User uploaded file

Bootcamp WIndows 7 can't get pass installation because keyboard won't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.