Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid-2010 iMac SMART Status Failing, Boot Stuck

Hello,

I have a Mid-2010 27" iMac currently running on OSX Yosemite. Here's what happened:

A year ago, I upgraded my iMac from Mavericks to Yosemite. The upgrade was very slow in the reboot part, until I had to force shut down my iMac, then restart it. After that Yosemite was installed finally.

I tried installing Boot Camp (Windows 8.1) on Yosemite on 128 GB out of 1 TB of my disk space, but the first time I boot into Windows desktop, my iMac crashed. I then restarted into OSX then deleted Boot Camp and the Windows partition, but somehow I did not get the disk space back---instead, my iMac had about 870 GB disk space left.

I noticed my iMac was running noticably slower on Yosemite than when it was on Mavericks. Rendering video and copying files became more than 10x slower. I then checked if it was a hard disk problem, so I checked the disk utility.

In Disk Utility I selected my iMac's hard disk drive, but then it says "The hard disk is damaged and cannot be repaired. Back up as much data as possible." and on the bottom, the S.M.A.R.T. Status indicated: Failing.

I left my iMac alone for a few months, but when I started it again, the boot loading bar (with Apple logo) was very slow so I left it for a while. When i came back a few minutes later, I saw a black gear (appears to be stuck spinning) on a black background. So I pulled the power plug. A week later, I finally was able to boot it normally again (booting is very slow at the loading bar, but in the end it got me to the login screen).

But a few days after that, I turned on my iMac, but the loading bar is stuck at 50%. I waited for 5 hours, and it's still stuck so I plugged out the power. I then reboot it again, and the loading bar is still stuck at 50%. I waited for 1 hour until it finally got me to the login screen. But the whole system was badly slow. Every click, a spinning beachball cursor appears, then every letter type, a spinning beachball cursor appears again. Then I shut it down normally (which took about 5 minutes to wait for every spinning beachball after every single button I click).

Does this mean I have to replace my iMac's hard disk?

What is a temporary fix to login?

Please help,

Thank You.

(iMac specs if needed: Intel Core i3, 3.3 Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 5670, 1 TB Hitachi HDD, 4 GB RAM, 27" Mid-2010, original OS Snow Leopard)

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 6:50 AM

2 replies

Mid-2010 iMac SMART Status Failing, Boot Stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.