Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Configure a new Time Capsule via iMac in a home non-apple WLAN

Hi, I have a new Time Capsule and want to configure it via my iMac. Aim is to use the TC in an existing WLAN (Vodafone) and to have it as a backup device in my home WLAN. When I start the TC it always turned to a blinking amber. This is regardless if I have it wire connected to the WLAN Router or not. I tried it also wireless with pressed WPS key.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Joe

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 11:22 AM

When I start the TC it always turned to a blinking amber

This is normal, as the Time Capsule has yet to be configured with the correct settings to work with your existing network. When the Time Capsule has been setup correctly, it will display a green light.

The Time Capsule needs to connect to your wireless router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

Specifically, the Ethernet cable would connect from a LAN <--> port on the Vodafone router to the WAN (circle of dots) port on the Time Capsule.

Use Apple's configuration wizard as noted in the Setup Guide to set up the Time Capsule to create a new wireless network.

Once that is done, you can go back in using AirPort Utility to turn off the wireless if you don't need another wireless network. In that case, the Time Capsule becomes a back up hard drive only.

Macs can back up to the Time Capsule using either a wireless or wired Ethernet connection.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2015 11:22 AM in response to Joe_MUC

When I start the TC it always turned to a blinking amber

This is normal, as the Time Capsule has yet to be configured with the correct settings to work with your existing network. When the Time Capsule has been setup correctly, it will display a green light.

The Time Capsule needs to connect to your wireless router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

Specifically, the Ethernet cable would connect from a LAN <--> port on the Vodafone router to the WAN (circle of dots) port on the Time Capsule.

Use Apple's configuration wizard as noted in the Setup Guide to set up the Time Capsule to create a new wireless network.

Once that is done, you can go back in using AirPort Utility to turn off the wireless if you don't need another wireless network. In that case, the Time Capsule becomes a back up hard drive only.

Macs can back up to the Time Capsule using either a wireless or wired Ethernet connection.

Mar 30, 2015 12:22 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Rob,

first of all thanks for your reply. I did again as you said, making sure up front that the cable connection to the Vodafone router is working. I have restarted to TC and it's blinking amber again.

When I now use the Airport Utility I can say, that I like to include the TC into my existing network, instead of creating a new one, but when it then comes down to elect my home WLAN, only one (out of 8) foreign WLANs are proposed to select, but not my one.

This is strange, isn't it?

Again, any ideas? Normally I'm quite good on stuff like this but now I have no idea?!

Thanks again

Joe

Mar 30, 2015 12:41 PM in response to Joe_MUC

When I now use the Airport Utility I can say, that I like to include the TC into my existing network, instead of creating a new one, but when it then comes down to elect my home WLAN, only one (out of 8) foreign WLANs are proposed to select, but not my one.

This is strange, isn't it?

No, not really, since the Time Capsule cannot connect to an existing wireless network using a wireless connection.......unless......the existing wireless network is provided by another Apple router. You indicated that you have a 3rd party Vodafone product.

So, the correct setup for the Time Capsule is to create a new network......just as the configuration wizard suggests.

Once the Time Capsule has been set up, if you don't need another wireless network, or you don't want to use the Time Capsule wireless, you can turn off the wireless function on the Time Capsule and use the Vodafone wireless.

Configure a new Time Capsule via iMac in a home non-apple WLAN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.