Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do You Backup Music on iTunes?

I've been using the free program, "SyncBack" to run all of my backups from my Windows PC to a 2gb external drive. The program adds any new files and it replaces any file on the backup when the source has a more recent file date. I have been using this program to backup my iTunes music in addition to all my other files. I have discovered that iTunes does not always change the file date when the tags for the music file have been revised. For example, I have added comments and grouping to existing songs in iTunes and found the file date was unchanged. As a result, SyncBack ignores the file when I run backups because the file date has not changed. Oddly, iTunes will sometimes change the file date when you edit tags and sometimes it doesn't.

I've found the only way I can get a good backup is to completely delete the backup and copy everything over to the backup new every time. It takes over an hour for me to do this and would rather only update the music that has tags that have changed.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

iTunes-OTHER, Windows 8

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 8:46 AM

39 replies

Mar 30, 2015 9:02 AM in response to GeorgeH19

Some changes to iTunes content are made to the iTunes database (the iTunes Library.itl file) rather than by updating tags within the media files. As long as all your media files are contained within the iTunes Media folder then you should backup the complete iTunes folder - typically C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes, with a structure like this:

User uploaded file

then you are replicating everything correctly. I'm not familiar with SyncBack but I assume that it is similar to Microsoft SyncToy - see turingtest2's user tip on Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for more info.

Mar 30, 2015 9:26 AM in response to hhgttg27

It appears you are correct. I just rechecked my backup and verified the tag data is still missing on some files even when I started with a completely new backup. I'm not sure but it appears the SyncToy you refer to functions in the same way as SyncBack as far as only replacing files with a more recent file date.

Is there a way I can force iTunes to save the tags to the m4a music file?

Mar 30, 2015 9:34 AM in response to GeorgeH19

iTunes depends on both the content of the database file and the tags within media files - in some cases these are redundant but in others metadata values are held only in the database. There's nothing within iTunes that allows the values held only in the database to be "forced" into the media files (though it is possible that some cases could be supported using a scripted solution).

As long as you backup the complete iTunes folder then there should be no issues with recovering all information in the event of a system failure, or when transferring your library from one computer to another. I've been using SyncToy for 5+ years not only to maintain a backup of my library but also to replicate it across several systems - never had a problem with any metadata being lost or updates not recognized.

Mar 30, 2015 9:53 AM in response to hhgttg27

I found this post on another forum (copy and pasted below). Unfortunately, I don't know what they mean by ID3v2.3. Have any idea?

http://forums.ilounge.com/applescripts-itunes-mac/193864-writing-itunes-song-art ist-album-id3-tag.html

I can confirm that this problem STILL exists in iTunes for Windows 7.6.

However, I can also confirm a previously mentioned workaround for this problem.

As it's been mentioned, you need to set your entire library to ID3v2.3. Once this is done, any added files from now on will be added with ID3v2.3 which appears to be the only ID3 implementation working in iTunes. Now, you're probably wondering: how do I fix all my MP3s in iTunes?

I'm assuming that there's a difference in the tag information between your iTunes library and your actual MP3 collection (The information in iTunes is different than that in your files and you can't change it with iTunes).

To synchronize your iTunes library with the tags in your files, select ALL of your music in iTunes and right-click, going to Get Info. Go down to the Comment section and put in anything. I put in the number one (1). Then click OK. This will forcibly rewrite ALL the Comments sections in ALL your MP3s However, once finished, you can remove the comment if you wish. Consequently, this will force iTunes to rewrite the ID3v2.3 tags for all your MP3s with the tag information it currently has in the library. Once this is completed, you should be able to edit your library at will and iTunes will correctly write the ID3v2.3 tags to the files when you close the Information dialog.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 with iTunes for Windows 7.6. My library is 17.65 GB large. I've tested the above on my library and it worked. YMMV.

Mar 30, 2015 10:15 AM in response to GeorgeH19

ID3 is the standard for tagging within MP3 files. There are several different versions of this, and MP3 files can include different versions of ID3 tags at the same time. iTunes can sometimes get confused when the same tag exists multiple times/using different ID3 versions in the same file - which can result in incorrect reading of some metadata or apparent failures to update it. When you use iTunes to add/update metadata for MP3 files, it uses ID3v2.3. As the quoted article states, it is possible to update tags using other versions of ID3 to v2.3 ... if an MP3 file has multiple tag versions, there will be a right-click option available labeled Convert ID3 Tags... which will open up a dialog like this:

User uploaded file

Typically you may need to select None a couple of times then select ID3v2.3 for force all the tags to be converted and consolidated.

However, this should only be necessary if you're encountering the problems referred to above. As long as the content within your iTunes media is correct and can be updated when required, this isn't really relevant to backup processes. I just ran a quick test updating an MP3 file within iTunes to modify the Comments and Grouping values - the MP3 file was updated and detected by SyncToy as a file that had been changed subsequent to the last backup operation. If you do this and don't see any change to the file (including its date-time stamp) then its possible that the file is read-only or that Windows permissions are preventing updates. If the date-time stamp is updated but SyncBack doesn't recognize the change then maybe it is less sensitive than SyncToy in this respect.

Mar 30, 2015 1:39 PM in response to hhgttg27

OK I don't have much music in MP3 format. Most of it is in m4a files. After doing an exhaustive search on Google, I found what you said appears to be correct. There appears to be no generic way to force iTunes to save tags to the m4a files. I couldn't find any scripts for Windows that would do it either. I did open one song that had comments saved to the library and I changed the comments. Oddly enough, it saved the comments to the m4a file this time. There doesn't seem to any reasoning behind whether it saves tags to the m4a file or to the library.

Thanks for your help.

George

Mar 30, 2015 1:58 PM in response to GeorgeH19

I'm not sure if there's a definitive reference for this, but as far as I know the following are stored as embedded tags in music files (except .WAV), and are in most cases are replicated within the iTunes database:

• artist, album artist, sort artist, sort album artist
  • name, sort name
  • album, sort album
  • compilation flag
  • track number, track count, disc number, disc count
  • composer, comments, genre, grouping
  • embedded artwork (i.e., added through Get Info dialog rather using Get Album Artwork function)

Others are only stored in the database:

• date added, played date, skipped date, played count, skipped count
  • checked/ticked flag, exclude from shuffle, unplayed flag
  • album rating, track rating
  • volume & EQ adjustments
  • start time, end time, bookmark info
  • media kind
  • playlists & playlist folders (stored as a list of songs and as a list of playlists respectively, other than smart playlist where the playlist rules are stored, not the members)
  • downloaded artwork (actually held as separate files in the Album Artwork\Cloud Purchases or Album Artwork\Download folders

Mar 30, 2015 2:13 PM in response to GeorgeH19

Any edits you make to aac/m4a should be saved internally within the file. The exception might be when security permissions prevent iTunes updating the files. See Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows to make sure permissions are not a problem. Depending on the version of Windows you may not see the tag data displayed in Windows Explorer.

You've addressed the potential problem of .mp3 files with no tag at all, convert to ID3 V2.3.

Another possibility it that iTunes seems to have an issue with mp3 files that have multiple tags (provided to allow backwards compatibility and multiple language support) in that it can sometimes appear to update the tag data, then read back unchanged data from another tag in the same file. iOS devices might also read a different copy of the tag from iTunes. If you think you may have files with this issue then with a selection of affected files you could use the option Convert ID3 Tags > None several times, followed by Convert ID3 Tags > V2.3 which may sort things out.

tt2

Mar 30, 2015 7:45 PM in response to turingtest2

It appears I had a permissions issue. I made changes to the permissions. Of course, the data didn't change. The grouping and comments fields had a limited number of entries so I changed iTunes view option to song mode and sorted by the grouping field. I highlighted all the songs with the same entry and made a mass change using the "get info" option to add an "x" to the existing entry and then changed the entry back to what it was. I did the same thing with the comments field. This process fixed all the records where I made a change.

Now I am looking at the "Year" field. I now have 122 songs in iTunes that have a blank year. Looking at the tags of the music files, I have 1312 songs that have a blank year. So I guess I have 1190 songs where the year has been saved to the library. It wouldn't be easy to do mass changes to each entry in the year field because there are so many years. Do you have any ideas on how I can get the dates in the library saved to the music files?

Mar 31, 2015 12:38 AM in response to GeorgeH19

Hmm. I guess a script that systematically goes through a selection of tracks and, where year is not blank, adds one to the current value, then takes one away again, might do the trick. However I'd be worried that the act of testing the current year could discard the values you have now if they are not already stored in the tag but other data is.

I can put something together for you to test later.

tt2

Mar 31, 2015 4:38 AM in response to turingtest2

Another possibility would be to identify a metadata element that's not being used in the tracks that don't have the year value as an embedded tag, select all these tracks and enter a dummy value in this unused element - this should result in iTunes updating all the metadata (and you can delete this dummy value afterwards). I've been using this recently as a workaround for an oddity in iTunes 12.1.1 where some newly-added media isn't renamed correctly, even though the Organize option is selected in Edit > Preferences > Advanced.

How Do You Backup Music on iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.