Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

We have an imac with os10.6.8 and safari 5.1.10 if we upgrade to the new safari will it be compatible, and will it work with our bank?

We have an imac with os10.6.8 and safari 5.1.10 we have been getting messages that some site no longer support 5.1.10. I am concerned about upgrading, as we had trouble with a previous update with our bank. I checked with the bank and they are suggesting waiting, but other sites like youtube what the upgrade. Has anyone had problems with the new safari? Our imac is pushing 8 years old, but we are not ready to replace it.

imac, Mac OS X (10.6.5), use pages08

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 8:17 AM

Safari 5.1 is now well out of date and doesn't work with a number of sites; your bank is very likely to be one of them. The latest version of Firefox does work with Snow Leopard and should be OK.

3 replies

Mar 31, 2015 8:12 AM in response to 14lacy2

Upgrading from 10.6.8 to a newer OS has implications for many Mac owners. Lion (10.7) ended support for software that was originally written for older Macs that used Motorola processors. Owners who kept their software current had few issues upgrading to Lion when it was released but a lot of people suddenly found they had software that wouldn’t run any longer.

Another thing to consider is the age of your computer. A 2007 or 2008 iMac can run Lion fine and even Mt Lion (10.8) but Mavericks is a reach. It was Mavericks that prompted my purchase of a new iMac in late 2012. Given that you say your iMac is pushing 8 and you don’t want to replace it yet, don’t consider upgrading beyond Mt Lion. You won’t find Lion or Mt Lion for sale at the App store but I believe that you can still purchase them by contacting Apple directly.

We have an imac with os10.6.8 and safari 5.1.10 if we upgrade to the new safari will it be compatible, and will it work with our bank?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.