Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPad 2 won't connect to Apple TV even though Airplay icon is showing.

Hi,

I've looked everywhere online, but can't find an answer to why my iPad won't connect. The Airplay icon shows up on my iPad, I click on it and make it connect to my Apple TV with mirroring. Nothing shows up on my TV screen and after a few seconds the connection disappears and and the iPad doesn't connect. A second later it shows up again and shows that I can connect again. I am logged on to the same wifi on both units and it worked fine until a few weeks ago. Both units have the newest updates, but I updated it a while before this problem showed up. I also live in a student dorm, so there may be some disturbances, but it didn't make any difference before. I've tried restarting both units and turning the wifi on and off, but it did not do anything. Turning off mirroring makes no difference. I can use the apps on the Apple TV just fine, like watching Youtube and Netflix. It annoys the heck out of me that I bought an Apple TV and now I cant use it for what I want! Please help me!

AppleTV 2

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 8:38 AM

1 reply

Mar 30, 2015 10:45 AM in response to elisekv

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

This is answer is provided from my own database of boilerplate responses and the content was last reviewed and/or tested on: 2014/12/18

IPad 2 won't connect to Apple TV even though Airplay icon is showing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.