Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use of Garageband smart drum beats for commercial purposes

I would like create my own smart drum beats in Garageband and use them as part of a product I sell. Are the beats I create myself royalty-free and able to be sold or are the rules similar to the Apple loops which cannot be sold.

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 8:29 AM

8 replies

Apr 2, 2015 6:59 AM in response to Boozer77

Hello Boozer77,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

From your post I understand you want to know if you can commercially distribute music created from smart drum beats in GarageBand. I'd like you to please see the information below on how you may use the loops.

The GarageBand software license agreement says:

"GarageBand Software. You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content (Audio Content), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original music compositions or audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own music compositions or audio projects that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound effects or music beds."

So don't worry, you can make commercial music with GarageBand, you just can't distribute the loops as loops.

Using royalty-free loops in GarageBand with commercial work - Apple Support

Take care,

Alex H.

Apr 2, 2015 7:17 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thank you for your reply.

This legal statement describes the use of "Apple Loops" that are not to be used in standalone basis. What I am asking about is the "Smart Drum" feature on the iOS ipad app. This feature allows the user to customize the beats using a grid, and by moving the effect to a different part of the grid, the user can control things such as loudness, complexity of the beat, and it's prominence over other instruments contained in the beat.

ultimately, the

Apr 2, 2015 10:08 AM in response to Boozer77

While I appreciate the replies to my question, they are still extremely vague.

Because we are no lawyers and the terms of use for these forums prevent us from posting legal advice. We can only point you to the documents, that describe Apple's legal statements. You have to ask your own lawyer to give the advice, based on that document.

You are allowed to create Apple loops, if they are your own original music composition, and you are allowed to use GarageBand for that, but we cannot tell you, if your use of drummer tracks will qualify as "your own original music composition". It will depend on what you are doing.

Use of Garageband smart drum beats for commercial purposes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.