Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I update Safari without downloading the latest version of OS X? I don't have 2 GB available.

How can I update Safari without downloading the latest version of OS X? I don't have 2 GB available.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 9:18 AM

1 reply

Mar 30, 2015 9:36 AM in response to hankfromcolonial heights

Safari versions are tied to the Mac OSX version so you cannot upgrade Safari unless you upgrade your OS. You best action is to switch to FireFox. It still supports OS 10.6.8 and web sites recognize it as a supported browser

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

I don't have 2 GB available.

I assume you are talking about RAM, not disk space. Every iMac capable of running OS 10.6.8 can accept 2GB RAM, and RAM is easy to install in pre-2012 iMacs. You can find your exact iMac variant by doing "About this Mac" from your Apple menu (left end of menubar) and clicking the "More Info..." button. That launches System Profiler whose opening screen looks like this:

User uploaded file

Note that I've drawn a red arrow by a code on the line labeled "Model Identifier." Compare that code to the Model Codes in this chart of older iMacs to see how far you can upgrade your RAM and Mac OSX version:

User uploaded file

Let us know what you find and we can help you with the decision on whether to upgrade you existing computer or think about a newer one.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.