Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Managing which projects are in the timeline.

I'm sure the answer to this is trivial, except that I can't find it. (FCP7 guy finally coming to X)

I open a project in the timeline. Good. I open a second project in the timeline and I get the back & forward arrows to select which one to see. I open another project and I can control-click on the arrows to select which one to see.

But how do I CLOSE a project that is open in the timeline when I have too many open at once? I've done the basic search of the manual and the forum but can't figure this one out.

So the question is really this: IF three or more projects are open in the timeline, how do I close one?

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Sony EX1 / FCP 7 on old Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 9:10 AM

9 replies

Mar 30, 2015 9:45 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Well, there is some pain. But your suggestion "close library" closes the whole library, events, projects, everything. I am trying to manage how many projects are open in the timeline at once within a library I am working on.

As far as the transition from 7 to X. I think Apple did the worst product intro in their history with X, scaring a lot of people to taste-test Adobe, etc. But from a product standpoint, they did what most tech companies are too afraid to do: obsolete their own product with new technology. The foundation of X is very sound and the potential value of roles & metadata for large projects makes a lot of sense. I don't see why they had to rename perfectly good things (library, event, project) but I'm finding it a much more interesting challenge than trying to learn Premiere, which ultimately just felt clunky to me.

However, my question is still unanswered . . . .

Mar 30, 2015 10:13 AM in response to Jim_TurnipVideo

I think there is a misunderstanding in thinking of "projects open in the timeline".

There is only ONE project in the timeline at any given time.

The arrows are sort of "history", like the forward and backward buttons in a web browser.

It is not like an application like TextEdit, where you can have several windows, each corresponding to an open document.

If anything, it is the libraries that are FCP X's "documents", not projects.

You can open and close libraries, of course.

Projects are more like FCP 7's sequences; libraries are more like FCP 7's projects.

(of course, these are only approximations, since the paradigms are different, but I believe they may lead to a better understanding of how FCP X handles things)

Mar 30, 2015 10:34 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Projects are exactly like FCP7 sequences, give or take new capabilities. And in 7 you only have one "sequence" open at a time, but you see the tabs of others recently opened and you can close all those tabs if you wish. In X, there is only one "project" open at a time in the timeline, but the arrows allow you to see other recently opened projects. Except that you CANNOT purge the history in any way. At least, that is what you are saying.

I need to duplicate the format of a unique element across multiple projects and I want to always compare ONE of these projects to each of the others, to ensure that they as identical as possible. (before you recommend storylines or compound let me say that the unique element includes the name of the person speaking, one to a project). So I'd love to leave my reference project one click away and cycle thru the others without generating a history many steps long.

I am prepared to accept that this is not possible in FCP X. It's not the end of the world, but I'm surprised there isn't some way to manage this.

Mar 30, 2015 10:58 AM in response to Jim_TurnipVideo

I was not about to suggest compounds or storylines - though come to think of it... just kidding :-)

I understand what you are asking for, but I don't think there is currently such an option.

You can use the "Provide Feedback" command in the application itself to make a feature request.

I would think that going back and forth to erase items from the project navigation history might in the end be a bit clunky, though.

What I was going to suggest, though, is that if this is some kind of template, like a title, it would probably make sense just to create your own and have it there in the Titles (or Effects, or Generators, as may be more appropriate).

For example, if always do the same kind of modifications to a title, like changing font, size, position on screen, etc, then it makes sense to have your own version with all your settings as wanted, instead of doing the same changes over and over.

That assumes that you have Motion, or can have someone with Motion creating that title for you

(you only need Motion to *create* custom titles, effects, etc, NOT to use them)

Mar 30, 2015 11:21 AM in response to Jim_TurnipVideo

Jim / Turnip Video wrote:

I am prepared to accept that this is not possible in FCP X. It's not the end of the world, but I'm surprised there isn't some way to manage this.

My response was correct. You close the library. That's it. Can't have more than one timeline thingy open at once. The illusion of the history arrows is misleading.

Everything I do in FCPX is requires accepting the things I cannot change in FCPX, or, my favorite litany today, it takes me ten or more clicks (expand audio, select audio info, turn off unwanted tracks, collapse audio, wait, I need to do an L-cut) to accomplish what a single click did in 7.

I was never scared of or by FCPX. Only ticked off. Still am, after three years. Every day. Every click.

Managing which projects are in the timeline.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.