Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I daisy chain two time capsules as a wired router and use the hard of both as back-up?

I have a newer time capsule tower and an older time capsule that I wasn't using. The older TC works fine I just decided to upgrade about 6 months ago. I decided to run an Ethernet cable from the room where the TC tower is to the room where the TV in order to create a wired connection to the TC tower. I wanted to use my Apple TV with a wired. In addition, I am in the process of buying a Channel Master DVR plus and besides wanting to use it with older TC wired also wanted to use the older TC’s hard drive to extend the recording time of the DVR. Will this work? If so, my questions are related to setup of all. I assuming I plug the Ethernet cable into the LAN port of the TC tower and the other end into the WAN port of the older TC. Is this correct? What settings do I need on the TC tower and the older TC to make this work as a wired connection? Do I need to turn off the wireless connection on the older TC? Will I just need to plug in the DVR into the older TC’s USB port to use its hard drive? Thanks for your assistance.

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 9:31 AM

5 replies

Mar 30, 2015 9:57 AM in response to jk230

I assuming I plug the Ethernet cable into the LAN port of the TC tower and the other end into the WAN port of the older TC. Is this correct?

Yes

What settings do I need on the TC tower and the older TC to make this work as a wired connection?

The setup "wizard" will automatically provide the correct settings to the older TC to "extend a network using Ethernet" when you start from a factory default reset condition on the old TC.

Do I need to turn off the wireless connection on the older TC?

You can, but if the older TC is located some distance from the new TC, you might want to leave the wireless on to allow an "extended" network with more wireless coverage in the area near the old TC.

Will I just need to plug in the DVR into the older TC’s USB port to use its hard drive?

The USB port on the old TC (and new TC) will only support a normal computer hard drive.....not a DVR. If you want to connect a hard drive for more recording capacity, you will likely need to use a separate USB or SATA hard drive that is connected directly to the DVR, not to the old TC.

Check the documentation on the DVR to confirm how that device should be set up.

Mar 30, 2015 10:38 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your detailed and knowledgable response. Based on your answers and a little extra research I have decide to get a separate hard drive and use a gigabit ethernet switch to extend the wired network. Since I am wired Cat6 the switch I assuming the switch will add more speed then the older TC (which I believe I bought around 2006). Is this correct? Thanks much.

Mar 30, 2015 10:42 AM in response to jk230

The old Time Capsule has Gigabit Ethernet ports, so there would be no advantage at all performance wise using an Ethernet switch in place of the old Time Capsule.....which will function just like an Ethernet switch, plus give you capability to have more wireless coverage in the area near the old Time Capsule....and also provide more network storage space, if that might be needed.

How do I daisy chain two time capsules as a wired router and use the hard of both as back-up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.