Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a used iPhone on ebay. when I try to activate it, I get a message that the owner needs to sign in to the device with their appleID and password. I have no way of knowing who the owner is. How can I get around this?

I bought a used iPhone on ebay. when I try to activate it, I get a message that the owner needs to sign in to the device with their appleID and password. I have no way of knowing who the owner is. How can I get around this?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 9:29 AM

2 replies

Mar 30, 2015 9:36 AM in response to g2m8rritt

Check the eBay listing. Did it state the device was Activation Locked? If not, then make a claim as Meg stated and get a refund. You will not be able to activate the phone and no one can help you contact the owner, unless that is the person that sold the device. If they cannot remove the phone from their account because it is not theirs, then refund is your route. Even Apple cannot assist with locating the previous owner.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.