Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

trouble updating itunes

I cant download or update itunes. everytime try it gets to starting services I get a message apple mobile device services failed to start verify you have privileges to start system services. If I ignore this message then it downloads & I ger an error 7 message saying itunes helper did not install properly. I have uninstalled & reinstalled, unistalled itunes on program files & common files still the same. Help! Ive been trying to do it for 2 days now! Keep getting same message, Itunes was working fine before I tried to update. Im operating windows 7

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 8:57 AM

2 replies

Apr 2, 2015 7:12 AM in response to cmdoyle14

Hello cmdoyle14,

The Apple Mobile Device is a component of iTunes that communicates between your computer and your iPhone or iOS device. The error message you are seeing "verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services" has to do with the Windows operating system. It's possible that you are not logged in as the administrator for your Windows PC. Or, you may have antivirus software stopping the Apple Mobile Device from running.

If you are having issues updating iTunes on your PC, follow the steps in the article below.

If you can't install or update iTunes for Windows - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201668

How to restart the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) on Windows - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203188

I hope this information helps ....

- Judy

Apr 2, 2015 8:04 AM in response to cmdoyle14

Should the above not resolve things then for general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach. Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

The iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) version seems to be a fix for others with your symptoms so I would give that a try.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

trouble updating itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.