Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing backup location

I want to change the backup location from documents to an external HD.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 9:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 10:36 AM

In the Aperture Import Settings panel click the pop-up menu, where it says "Documents" and change this to "Choose". Then select a folder on your external HD.

User uploaded file

6 replies

Mar 30, 2015 10:11 AM in response to Isabella Britain Hill

You're welcome, Britain!

Now I'm trying to keep all of my libraries and backup on an external HD. I don't know where I would change the path.

Drag the libraries from their current location to the external drive - simply drag and drop. Then double click the library on the external drive to open it in Aperture.

Any external drive you are using to store your Aperture libraries will need to be formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled); see this support document: Use locally mounted Mac OS X Extended volumes for your Aperture library

If your drive has a different file system, reformat the drive as described here: Format external drives to Mac OS Extended before using with Aperture

The backup drive needs to be different from the drive you are using to store the libraries, or you will have not much added safety.

Léonie

changing backup location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.