Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dictation is deleted in web forums AND word

Hi Using the microphone to dictate on my iPad mini 3 and iPhone 5s with iOS 8.2. For both a Moodle Web Forum (teaching platform) it deletes everything as soon as I hit done. The exact same thing happens most of the time in my Microsoft Word app. Any suggestions?

I notice that the cursor will back up, select all or most of the dictated text then delete it. This is on Word and in the web forum All without me touching it!

Half baked fix: If I dictate two new lines, it will back up and sometimes not delete - but can't count on that.

Thank you in advance

Catherine

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.2, null

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 11:03 AM

4 replies

Apr 4, 2015 12:19 PM in response to catherinenow

I have this problem quite a lot, too. I'm trying to use iPads and dictation on a professional level for my architectural and engineering firm. This is rather difficult when dictation randomly kicks me out and/or deletes everything that I have just dictated.

I have discovered a poor workaround. It works but it is very inconvenient. At least it allows me to function under the circumstances.

It works as follows:

If you're working in one of these deletion zones, like this form here or eBay or any other place where you know that your text is going to get deleted as soon as you hit "done", don't ever hit "done". Instead, finish your dictation by tapping elsewhere on the screen. Put your cursor someplace else. That will finish the dictation but prevent the deletion. Of course the hard part, is when dictation kicks you out randomly, then it will delete what you just dictated. The trick is to move your cursor before it kicks you out.

Consider moving the cursor like that sort of like an auto save. In my experience, don't go more than about a paragraph, or you risk having dictation kick you out.

As I said, this is a very inconvenient workaround, but at least it allows you to function.

If Apple can solve these two problems, it would vastly improve the Apple experience and productivity.

Without solving these problems, it pretty much relegates dictation to a useless novelty. Not good for anything serious.

This problem is consistent with all of the iPad Airs that my company has, also on the couple of iPhone 4 and 4s that I have access to.

Apr 4, 2015 10:02 PM in response to catherinenow

That's a bug in iOS 8.2.

To work-around the dictation loss in Safari rather than touch the Done button to end the dictation just touch the text field.

if the dictation is lost because Siri times out just shake the iPad to bring up Undo facility or press the .?123 key at the lower-left of the keyboard and touch the undo key

Report your Siri dictation bugs to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Apr 4, 2015 9:25 PM in response to JimHdk

I will certainly try applying the undue key to the deletion problem. I don't know that I would use the phrase "timing out", when I get kicked out of dictation. The reason being, that it usually happens while I am in midstream of dictating a sentence , not when I am paused and thinking. It is clearly recording me and processing sounds. And then suddenly it just shuts down and puts whatever it has transcribed on the screen. And then sometimes deleted again. In any case it doesn't matter what I call it. I just really rather it not happen. And by the way, I have had ample opportunity to try using the undo button as you suggest. And yes, it works just fine.

Now the next question is, why put the smiley button on the first keyboard and relegate the undo button to the second keyboard? Surely that should be reversed?

dictation is deleted in web forums AND word

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.