Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is old iPod compatible with iTunes 12.1

I have an old 30GB iPod that functions fine as a music player. I would like to add some new tracks and playlists to it. I haven't done any updates in a long time. My iMac has iTunes 12.1 I connected the iPod to the iMac, and it isn't recognized on iTunes. Is is compatible with the latest version of iTunes?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 10:21 AM

9 replies

Mar 30, 2015 12:01 PM in response to MarcinOC

Also curious about this--

I prefer my 3rd gen iPod since my fine motor skills are degenerating, the toggle wheel really is my only option with the non haptic touch buttons.

I don't want to get an older Mac just to use an older version of iTunes for this to work.. But someone ought to be able to tell me if I am going to be forced to get a newer iPod or if it'll continue to be supported?

Mar 30, 2015 12:18 PM in response to MarcinOC

How old is your iPod?

Here an iPod nano red 3rd gen - sep 2007 - latest Software update version 1.1.3 from 06-04-2015.

Start iTunes (12.1.0.50) first then connect the iPod to the Mac.

For sure: connect the iPod directly to the Mac, don't use an USB hub.

User uploaded file

If iTunes doesn't recognized the iPod, go to  then about this Mac.

In Summary tab click on System overview.

In the left window click Harware open, then clik on USB, on the right window you will see under USB Hi-Speed bus the iPod.

Is old iPod compatible with iTunes 12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.