Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

preview - saving edited files (jpg)

Hello all,

I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous question. I've been searching the web for an answer for days ...and getting nowhere!

I've been using Preview to open and check jpg files, last week I tried to add some text to one and save it as a new file.

I know "save as" has disappeared, but I found the "command - file - save as" option but still get the error message "the file could not be saved".

I've tried "duplicate", "rename" and I get the same error message over and over.

Extremely frustrating!

Can anyone help?

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 11:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 12:13 PM

Sounds like the file is locked or has incorrect permissions.

4 replies

Mar 30, 2015 1:07 PM in response to paul esposito

Please back up all data, then open the iCloud pane in System Preferences. If the box marked iCloud Drive is checked, uncheck it and confirm. Your iCloud documents should be preserved on Apple's servers.

Test to see whether there's an improvement, then re-check the box and test again. It may take a noticeable amount of time for your iCloud Drive documents to resynchronize.

preview - saving edited files (jpg)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.