Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing iTunes library.

I used my iTunes library to edit play lists and update my ipod. The next time I went to open the program, all of my library content was gone. The desk top icon opened a generic form of iTunes like the one provided for first time users. I want to know if I can restore the library without using my hard drive back up. The library has a few changes/edits that I wish to restore that won't be in that form on my portable hard drive. Under My Music, I can find My Library.

Thanks for your help,

Rick

iPod classic, Windows XP, this is an itunes questions

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 11:11 AM

3 replies

Mar 31, 2015 2:58 PM in response to turingtest2

You were dead on. I forgot that the computer performed a crash dump. I think my hard drive is failing. Nevertheless, I followed the steps outlined in the message but was unable to resolve the problem. I will try again. I rename the bad file as corrupted, go into Previous iTunes Libraries, and choose the most recent form of the library (Here is where I want to make sure I am right). I then choose the most recent one, drag it out of the Previous Library to place it in the Itunes folder (the one it is in at the second level so to speak). Do I then open iTunes holding the shift key and choose to open it?

I hope my terminology is correct. I just think I didn’t place the replacement in the correct path.

Thanks for your time,

Rick

Mar 31, 2015 3:16 PM in response to rnavarrette

You should copy the file from the Previous iTunes Library folder, so that any further problems don't corrupt your original. Assuming your library was in the usual location of an iTunes folder the user's music folder the Previous iTunes Libraries folder is directly inside that. You copy the chosen file up one folder level and rename it as iTunes Library or iTunes Library.itl depending on whether or not the file extensions are currently visible, then start iTunes. You only need to shift-start-iTunes to choose a different database file if you've been through those steps before so iTunes is currently looking at a different path.

tt2

Missing iTunes library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.