Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you order the photos for a slide show?

I am making a slide show for our 50th anniversary. How can I place the photos in a certain order from earliest to latest if they are in random order now?

iMac, Mac OS 9.1.x

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 3:06 PM

Open the slideshow mode and click and drag the photos in the slide tray at the top into the order you want them.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

5 replies

Jun 4, 2016 12:08 PM in response to Old Toad

Ye Gods! I have typically over a hundred photos in my slideshows. Photos trashes the order every time. I just want them in the order I took them i.e. date order. I have date order clicked but I get a random order. I have tried adding them in day blocks but again photos jumbles them all up. I can move them manually one by one but I have a life to lead. Moved to Apple from Windows but am getting increasingly frustrated with Mac things that do not bloody work. Don't get me started on none functional Airdrop. Bah!!!!

Jun 4, 2016 12:16 PM in response to stevestarbuck

The following will get the images into a slideshow in the order you want:

1 - assemble them in and album and manually sort them in the order you want.

2 - select all of the image in the album, Control (right) - click on one and type Command + A (select all).

3 - use the File ➙ New Slideshow menu option.

This will put the images into the slideshow in the order you had in the album. However, some themes will mess with that order due to their organization and use of multiple images in a single slide.

The two themes that will keep the slide order are Classic and Ken Burns. Any theme that has more than one image per slide will mess it up.

Jun 4, 2016 12:30 PM in response to Old Toad

Worked like a charm. Selected all 200 ish photos as a block, created an album and, what do you know, they were all in date and time order. Cmd A, File , create slideshow and, magic, the order was preserved. Many thanks sir.

However, it begs the question, if Apple can write an app that can tell date and time to create an album, why can't they make that happen when creating a slideshow. Your workaround was great but it's still a workaround. Did the feedback thing to Apple.

how do you order the photos for a slide show?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.