Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro EXTREMELY slow

I'm having problems with my mid 2012 Yosemite Macbook Pro, lately it's been extremely slow and buggy and I cannot figure out why. I had 16 gb of RAM in it and I thought I might have had bad RAM, so I put back the original 4 gb of RAM and still have the same problems.

-It dies in standby overnight if not left connected to a power source.

-Startup takes long, long enough to notice that it shouldn't take that long.

-I get the spinning beachball when I finally start typing my password at the log in screen.

-The system time and date preferences are incorrect on startup.

-The system will constantly hang when I am typing.

-Switching applications freezes the system.

-I'll occasionally get a random spinning beach ball.

Internet pages take longer than normal to load.

-Spotify is useless, it freezes every time I try to select a new song, and it'll hang in the middle of songs.

-Scrolling down a page will occasionally freeze the system.

-Switching tabs or opening a new tab is the WORST, this is a surefire way to achieve the spinning beachball.

-Clicking on anything, links, finder, files, applications will give me a spinning beach ball.

I've wiped the hard drive twice, the first time restoring it with very minimal files and applications. I still had problems so I wiped it again and set it up as a brand new system, with no success. This Macbook is making me tear my hair out, any thoughts on what the problem could be?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), null

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 12:37 PM

3 replies

Mar 30, 2015 1:01 PM in response to gomezc

It sounds like a failing hard drive. I wrote a little diagnostic program to help show what might be causing these problems. Download EtreCheck from http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck, run it, and paste the results here. EtreCheck is perfectly safe to run, does not ask for your password to install, and is signed with my Apple Developer ID.

Disclaimer: Although EtreCheck is free, there are other links on my site that could give me some form of compensation, financial or otherwise.

Mar 30, 2015 1:02 PM in response to gomezc

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Mar 30, 2015 1:04 PM in response to gomezc

So first download EntreCheck and post the results here. Resident experts will peruse it for you.

"-It dies in standby overnight if not left connected to a power source.

-Startup takes long, long enough to notice that it shouldn't take that long.

-I get the spinning beachball when I finally start typing my password at the log in screen.

-The system time and date preferences are incorrect on startup."

So that's telling you the battery power goes to zero when left overnight.

There has been an issue with Yosemite causing high battery drain.

I've resisted the move to Yosemite and I'm still on Mavericks.

macbook pro EXTREMELY slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.