Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Photos and iphoto have 3 different libraries?

After I installed the latest updates to Yosemite and rceived the Photos all my images were transfered to photo. But now I see my old iphoto library + photos library + another photos library folder.

Looks like this:

User uploaded file

My iphoto library was about 110GBs. Now it has been tripled.

Can I choose to continue using iphoto and get rid of Photos?

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 12:24 PM

4 replies

Mar 30, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Serol Agazat

Well this is a question about beta software, and frankly, when you run beta software things go wrong sometimes.

That said, no files at all were transferred from iphoto to the Photos library. All that's happening is that both libraries are pointing to the same collection of images. You'll note your available disk space has not gone down by 118 gigs.

The final folder, ending in _prepare seems like a failure of some form. Report in your feedback.

Can I choose to continue using iphoto and get rid of Photos?

Yes and your available disk space will not change.

Mar 30, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Serol Agazat

Have a look at this document: It explains, why Photos does not need much extra storage.

http://sixcolors.com/post/2015/02/the-hard-link-between-photos-and-iphoto/

But should I go ahead and delete those folders (photos library and the weird folder)?

Make a current backup, before you delete anything. Then Repair your iPhoto Library, after you delete the partially migrated libraries.

Why Photos and iphoto have 3 different libraries?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.