Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to restore a Yosemite time machine back up to Mavericks?

I downgraded from Yosemite to Mavericks but I only started backing up when I was running Yosemite so once I downgraded from Mavericks I found that time machine couldn't restore my backup. Is there anyway I can get around this or do I just have to upgrade back to Yosemite? The reason I downgraded by the way was that Yosemite made my Mac a bit slow and laggy. Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 1:01 PM

You can, but it is not recommended. Your Yosemite backup contains apps and preference files that, after being restored on a Mavericks computer, may damage OS X. This is the reason why you have to make a backup before upgrading OS X.

Before downgrading to Mavericks, did you try formatting the hard drive and installing OS X Yosemite? You should try this before downgrading.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2015 1:01 PM in response to atticustayar

You can, but it is not recommended. Your Yosemite backup contains apps and preference files that, after being restored on a Mavericks computer, may damage OS X. This is the reason why you have to make a backup before upgrading OS X.

Before downgrading to Mavericks, did you try formatting the hard drive and installing OS X Yosemite? You should try this before downgrading.

Mar 30, 2015 1:31 PM in response to atticustayar

I would recommend you to restore your files manually (in other words, going to the backup drive and copying the files you want to your Mac's hard drive), because Migration Assistant might mess up everything.

If you are going to install OS X Yosemite again, do not restore the backup or you will get those performance issues back. Instead, restore your files manually as described above.

Mar 30, 2015 1:23 PM in response to mende1

Some the application that are on the backup don't copy across though for some reason. For example iPhoto, the new version of Pages, which all my documents are in. I thought iPhoto was included in Mavericks but it doesn't seem to be. Migrant assistant doesn't let me do it anyway.

Also, if I manually copy everything from the backup to my computer will that mess up future backups?

Mar 30, 2015 1:44 PM in response to atticustayar

iLife (iPhoto, iMovie and GarageBand) and iWork apps (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) are not included with OS X. They used to be paid apps, but now they are included free of charge with all new Macs.

Future backups will not be messed up by restoring files manually. Time Machine will carry on making backups as usual, and it will probably start a new set of backups (as it will detect a new OS X copy).

Is it possible to restore a Yosemite time machine back up to Mavericks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.