Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony 4k TV connected to a late 2014 mac mini

I have a late 2014 mac mini with 16 gigs of memory and a 1tb ssd driving my AV system. For a monitor I have a Sony 70" 4k tv. The two are connected via a Belkin mini display port to hdmi adapter. The TV works fine in monitor mode. I am having trouble displaying UHD 4k video (3840x2160) from Final Cut Pro X.

All the software is up to date.

The video appears pixelated.

I have an NEC 4k display connected to my Mac Pro and 4k video plays fine (pretty cool, actually). I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue and if so, is there a workaround? The Apple support documents don't list the Sony as supported, but it seems to work fine when displaying static data or images. In fact, photos are spectacular. Great detail and color.

Thanks,

Mike

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 12:55 PM

8 replies

Apr 1, 2015 5:09 AM in response to lllaass

lllaass wrote:

One contributing factor is that the Mini only support 30Hz

Apparently the new Mac Pro also only has a HDMI 1.4a interface and so is also limited to either 24 or 30 fps via its HDMI.

Ironically, the classic Mac Pro can be fitted with a video card which does have a HDMI 2.0 port (the GTX 980) but at the moment this is only enabled for full HDMI 2.0 mode in Boot Camp and Windows. In theory a software upgrade would allow this card to do full HDMI 2.0 and 60 fps 4K.

All the current Mini Displayport to HDMI adapters I am aware of at the moment including I believe Belkin are still limited to HDMI 1.4a and hence 24 or 30 fps. I have seen articles suggesting that this summer there might be new Mini Displayport adapters released which will support HDMI 2.0 and could then in theory do 60fps at 4K. I am keeping my eyes open for one myself.

Apr 1, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Lanny

Lanny wrote:

The key is to get away from using TVs that rely only on HDMI inputs. Look for monitors with DisplayPort or DVI inputs.

There are plenty of monitors with Displayport connections including both HD and 4K ones, however there is literally only one TV with Displayport support which is a Panasonic model. As far as I am aware there are also currently no AV Receivers with Displayport support even though it is obviously possible to mix Displayport and HDMI connections as proven by the fact you can get a Displayport to HDMI adapter.

There are no licensing fees for using Displayport unlike HDMI and Displayport already has superior capabilities to even HDMI 2.0 and this is before the new Displayport 1.3 becomes available which will increase the gap even more.

See http://hometheaterreview.com/display-port-picking-up-momentum-in-fight-to-overta ke-hdmi-for-uhd/

Apr 1, 2015 1:34 PM in response to John Lockwood

I'm very sorry. I don't want to hijack this thread, but I can't start a thread and can't find an answer to why. Anytime I hit 'Submit' it brings the page to the top and there's an exclamation point and a row of =====.

I don't understand it tbh. If no one has answer as to how I can start my thread could they please start a thread with my name in the title and I'll post my question in the reply.

Sorry to barge in, hope you get a fix.

Sony 4k TV connected to a late 2014 mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.