Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get iPhoto for OS 10.6.8 Computer?

I am wanting to move all my iPhoto pix from the computer that I am preparing to upgrade to OS 10.10 and have tried to move them via flash drive to a computer running 10.6.8, which is where this one is until I upgrade it. I could not find iPhoto on the older computer and tried to bring it over on the flash drive and it copied fine BUT will not install or open. I got some error message. I had already checked the App Store and all I can find is the latest version that requires 10.10 and I cannot get it with the OS 10.6.8. How can I get an iPhoto on the 10.6.8 computer so that I can see what came over?

I also need to know how to find and copy on the drive specific albums. The only albums that show up are a hodgepodge of older albums and none of my newer pictures. I need to know where to find these as I probably am only missing a few albums.

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 2:23 PM

44 replies

Mar 30, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Sliphorn

How can I get an iPhoto on the 10.6.8 computer so that I can see what came over?

iPhoto should be on the system install disks of your 10.6.8 computer if it came with snow Leopard.

If your computer did not come with iPhoto preinstalled, you can buy iLife '11 installers from Amazon or eBay, but it would be more economic first to upgrade to Yosemite, then you will be able to download iPhoto 9.6 for free.

Mar 30, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Niel

I have the DVD for OS 10.6.5 in right now but cannot see iPhoto. I will wait until it finishes to see but have my doubts. How in the world did iPhoto get on the computers to start with? Even my dinosaur 2006 vintage MacBook has it. How can I get it without buying some disc somewhere? I have all the old OS install discs in my safe so was it any of them? I have 10., 10.3, and 10.2 in my safe. Thanks.

Mar 30, 2015 3:52 PM in response to Sliphorn

I have the DVD for OS 10.6.5 in right now but cannot see iPhoto. I will wait until it finishes to see but have my doubts. How in the world did iPhoto get on the computers to start with? Even my dinosaur 2006 vintage MacBook has it. How can I get it without buying some disc somewhere? I have all the old OS install discs in my safe so was it any of them? I have 10., 10.3, and 10.2 in my safe. Thanks.

iPhoto and the other iLife apps used to be on the second install disk with the bundled applications on the macs that came with snow leopard or earlier systems.

Mar 30, 2015 4:42 PM in response to Niel

OK, I surrender. I do not know if that computer (I inherited it from my late father in law) had iPhoto or not. I don't know how it got on THIS computer but it always was. I know want to focus on this huge task (since I can edit on this computer with iPhotot and transfer to the other):

How can I find the pictures that are on this computer to take them over to the other computer? I have a menu that shows pictures and another that shows all images (image 1) but I have a massive collection from taking about 4 trips per year and have picture albums back to 1956. They are organized into albums (image 2) but the albums that exist only in the iPhoto side bar. Only a FEW of these albums are actually in the iPhoto folder to be copied onto a flash drive. This list continues on from the screen shot. I have tried to drag each folder from image 2 but it will not copy to the flash drive. What can I do? Thanks.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Mar 30, 2015 5:19 PM in response to Sliphorn

iPhoto is keeping the photos organised in the iPhoto Library.

The iPhoto Library is by default in your Pictures folder and called "iPhoto Library". It has an icon like a fan of pictures.

Copy this library to the Pictures folder on your other Mac. After you install iPhoto on that Mac double-click the iPhoto Library to open it in iPhoto.

Copying the iPhoto library will transfer all your events, albums, photos etc. at once. It is a bundled package.

User uploaded file

For earlier iPhoto versions looked the icon slightly different - more sunset coloured.

Mar 31, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Niel

I will go out and get a 128 MB flash drive tomorrow so that I can bring this mammoth collection over en masse.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea which install had the iPhoto included in it. I have discs from 10.0 on up to 10.6. This would enable me (I think) to install the app on the other computer and then work with iPhoto. Thanks.

How can I get iPhoto for OS 10.6.8 Computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.