Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A salesperson at Radio Shack sold me a 12V 1.0A to replace my Delta 12V 1.8A power supply for Airport Extreme stating it would work fine with no issues. Could the amp difference cause damage to my base station?

A salesperson at Radio Shack sold me a 12V 1.0A AC adapter to replace my Delta 12V 1.8A power supply for Airport Extreme Model A1408 stating it would work fine with no issues. Could the amp difference cause damage to the base station?

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 1:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 2:12 PM

No it won't harm the AE but the power supply itself might get very hot.. in which case you should return it immediately for refund.

You should never use an under rated power supply because the supply itself tend to give peak output on the specs stamped on them.. in other words a power supply rated at 1A means 0.8A continuous and only peaking to 1A.

Your apple supply is a very solid good quality unit.. you can buy a direct replacement. Check with apple store. Or places like Amazon.. if you buy a general purpose supply I would get one rated at 12v 3A min.

And just a btw.. the power supply must be regulated.. in other words it should be switch mode type not the old transformer type.. I am not sure in the US on your rules now.. but if the supply is heavy it is transformer type and not suitable. Pick up a typical switch mode supply like your charger for ipad.. that is how the supply should feel. The bigger ones like old original supply is obviously heavier but still a fraction of the weight of the same supply rated for 1.8A with a transformer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2015 2:12 PM in response to michaelfromgraham

No it won't harm the AE but the power supply itself might get very hot.. in which case you should return it immediately for refund.

You should never use an under rated power supply because the supply itself tend to give peak output on the specs stamped on them.. in other words a power supply rated at 1A means 0.8A continuous and only peaking to 1A.

Your apple supply is a very solid good quality unit.. you can buy a direct replacement. Check with apple store. Or places like Amazon.. if you buy a general purpose supply I would get one rated at 12v 3A min.

And just a btw.. the power supply must be regulated.. in other words it should be switch mode type not the old transformer type.. I am not sure in the US on your rules now.. but if the supply is heavy it is transformer type and not suitable. Pick up a typical switch mode supply like your charger for ipad.. that is how the supply should feel. The bigger ones like old original supply is obviously heavier but still a fraction of the weight of the same supply rated for 1.8A with a transformer.

A salesperson at Radio Shack sold me a 12V 1.0A to replace my Delta 12V 1.8A power supply for Airport Extreme stating it would work fine with no issues. Could the amp difference cause damage to my base station?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.