Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD formatting failure

Hey support,
I wanted to reinstall my Macbook with fresh installation. Backed the files, shut the computer off. Turned on with cmnd+r to the recovery mode, went to the disk utility. Erased my macintosh HD, wanted to create a new partition, but the buttons were grey. Any ideas why it happened? Macbook pro early 2013, 13inch, 256 SSD, not sure why it shows 250GB
User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 2:01 PM

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2015 2:01 PM in response to Petras12

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Erase the hard drive:

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Mar 30, 2015 2:44 PM in response to Kappy

It is early 2013, 13inch MBP retina, 2.6ghz, 8gb ram, 256 SSD

http://superuser.com/questions/449534/osx-cant-create-a-partition-because-drive- is-locked

I tried to follow this link, booted to single user, cmnd+s, tried to write diskutil list, but I am getting this error "Unable to run because unable to use DiskManagement framework. Common reasons inclde, but are not limited to, the DiskArbitration framework being unavailable due to being booted in single-user mode"

any ideas how to unlock it?

Sorry for font, using Iphone...

Mar 30, 2015 3:32 PM in response to Petras12

Here's what you are going to do, then:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

If you cannot get the above to work or the drive fails to appear in Disk Utility, then the drive is bad.

Mar 31, 2015 7:13 AM in response to Kappy

Hey,
did these steps but I am getting different message then trying to repair or verify disk. Cannot partition it as well, as in normal recovery mode CMND+R.

How to repair that disk in the safe mode, so it unlocks and I can get the partition solved?
I am 100% that SSd must be fine, I just wanted to freshly reinstall it, it had no problems with it before...
Also I had been doing reinstallation many times before, so I know that I have followed the right steps.

From what I read I undestrood that the problem is in single used mode, that I have to repair it from there with "diskutil list"
and then typing "

diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ name disk1
"
But I am getting the error after first typing, "Unable to run because unable to use DiskManagement framework. Common reasons inclde, but are not limited to, the DiskArbitration framework being unavailable due to being booted in single-user mode"

How to get rid of that DiskManagement framework? Any ideas? Really need help with that. Thanks a lot!
User uploaded file

Mar 31, 2015 8:12 AM in response to Petras12

You have a CoreStorage Logical Volume Group. You need to delete that first.

In Recovery Mode, open Terminal and type: diskutil cs list. Then copy the long string of letters/numbers/dashes on the 1st line that says Logical Volume Group. Next, type diskutil cs delete <LVG identifier> and copy the LVG string after the delete. This should delete the Logical Volume Group and you should be able to partition your drive again with Disk Utility.

SSD formatting failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.