Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Giving Loops Chords in Logic Pro X

Creating a pattern of guitar chords in a song on Garageband on the ipad is a doddle. But there are only three or four different loops so it's very limited for song creation.

Logic Pro X has hundreds of loops. Is there a ''Garageband easy'' way to select the loops I like for my song and assign chords to them, without having to do anything mad like actually play the chords? I have looked online but all the solutions seem terribly complicated. Does anyone know a simple way to do this?

Many thanks

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2015 8:34 AM

The way it used to work in LP9 was to use the Global Chord track.... to instantly transpose all loops at a given point in time to a new root key but that feature was removed in LPX

So... After making sure you have turned on all the Advanced Tools in Logic's Preferences so LPX works in the full 'LPX mode' with all features enabled... and not the heavily cut down 'Garageband Pro' mode...

To assign a key to a loop.. you now add the loop to the arrange window.. which creates a region. Select that region and then use the transpose section of the Region Inspector to transpose the loop to the key you wish...

Note: If you click on the transpose value it will bring up a pop menu that only allows you to go up or down by octaves. Instead, left click and hold on the transpose value and you can select any value up and down...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2015 8:34 AM in response to BillyBobGoat

The way it used to work in LP9 was to use the Global Chord track.... to instantly transpose all loops at a given point in time to a new root key but that feature was removed in LPX

So... After making sure you have turned on all the Advanced Tools in Logic's Preferences so LPX works in the full 'LPX mode' with all features enabled... and not the heavily cut down 'Garageband Pro' mode...

To assign a key to a loop.. you now add the loop to the arrange window.. which creates a region. Select that region and then use the transpose section of the Region Inspector to transpose the loop to the key you wish...

Note: If you click on the transpose value it will bring up a pop menu that only allows you to go up or down by octaves. Instead, left click and hold on the transpose value and you can select any value up and down...

Mar 31, 2015 8:51 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

tthank you very much for the reply. I have tried this out and it works. I think that the global chord track you mentioned from the previous version sounds like it was a much more user friendly way to put chords to loops. Also perhaps it allowed inserting minor chords and 7th's and so on as the transposing feature only allows changing to major chords so it is quite limiting. i was wrong about being able to assign chords to loops in ipad GarageBand. You can assign chords while recording using the smart guitar features but the loops are separate and there seems to be no way to get the loops to change with the chord structure of the song.

it would be great if Apple could address this and offer easy chord assignment to loops in logic and ipad GarageBand allowing the assignment of all chords.

Giving Loops Chords in Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.