Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library missing

Every time I launch iTunes (after fixing the problem) I lose all of my movies redeemed through iTunes. Music I added to my library off my computer doesn't go missing, so whatever is going on, my library isn't syncing my purchases properly, and refuses to show them again unless I completely reset everything. This including having to delete the files in "C:\ProgramData\Apple Computer\iTunes" as well as the files in "User\My Music\iTunes"

Yes yes, there's the page that has directions to clear the library cache files or restore old ones. I have done that numerous times. The problem is, EVERY time I launch iTunes, this happens. It has nothing to do with upgrading. I've attempted uninstalling and re installing as well. Same results. After closing iTunes, when I load it again, everything is missing. This is becoming ridiculously frustrating, and has been a problem for me for a few months now. I keep hoping it will be fixed with an update, but so far it hasn't been.

Windows 7, null

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 4:57 PM

12 replies

Mar 30, 2015 5:12 PM in response to Zapix

What anti-virus software do you use? Some have been known to interfere with the way the library is saved.

Is this a Sony computer? Their media software also causes problems for some users.

See Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash for general recovery steps (may duplicate what you've already seen), Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy for a thorough backup strategy, and Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates for tips on reinstalling iTunes.

tt2

Mar 31, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Zapix

So if you create a new empty library and just add a small collection of content is that one stable?

Have you checked the drive for physical errors?

Have you eliminated any other software that might interfere with regular access to the file system, e.g. automatic backup?

Are shadow copies enabled for this volume? Have you tried changing that setting, or excluding the iTunes folder?

It might pay to Repair security permissions for iTunes for Windows.

tt2

Mar 31, 2015 1:43 PM in response to turingtest2

Content that I add to the library, stays. My problem is digital content that was added to iTunes... ie, digital copies of movies and TV shows that I've redeemed over time. Every time I go through steps to get it back, and I do, once I exit iTunes, something happens the moment I reopen iTunes. I see the library for less than a second, and it's blank. basically the same screen you would see if you weren't logged in. Any content that is directly on my computer though and I add to the library, that stuff sticks.

edit:
no backup or shadow copy software. I do things the old fashioned way, (I do it myself.)
iTunes folders are also excluded from Kaspersky.

Mar 31, 2015 1:50 PM in response to Zapix

So we're talking about the visibility of cloud content only? Try opening iTunes in Safe Mode by holding down Ctrl+Shift as you launch iTunes. Sign out of the iTunes Store, sign in again. Under Edit > Preferences > Advanced click Reset Cache. Close iTunes. Restart. Under Edit > Preferences > Store turn off the option to Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases. Apply the change. Go back and turn it on again. Any better?

tt2

Apr 9, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Zapix

Hmm, so I'm not sure why you don't have this option. Do you have iTunes Match? It isn't a feature I have so I don't know what side effects there are when it is enabled.

User uploaded file

Normally turning it off would remove all the cached cloud info. Signing back in should generate a new cache of purchased content, assuming there is/was an issue with the previous one. That is an otherwise empty test library in the background by the way.

tt2

Apr 9, 2015 3:20 PM in response to turingtest2

Sorry for the late reply.
No, I don't have iTunes Match installed. So here's what I discovered though. As I posted, I don't have that option you showed. I logged out and the option shows then, but is greyed out obviously because there's no account logged in. So I logged in and the option was there. I checked it and saved. Moments later it shows my library. Now, here's where things get messy. Once I close out iTunes and open it again... The cloud purchases go missing again AND so does that option to show them! Making me log out to get the the option back, log back in, and retick the box and save. Now... How messed up is that?

Any idea? Some kind of bug seems to disable the option and hide it once I close iTunes.in

Also just tried unticking, saving, reticking then saving. Same results. Closing iTunes while logged in seems to kill the option and hide it.

Apr 9, 2015 4:55 PM in response to turingtest2

That was part of how I was getting them back before as noted in my first post. It works that one time, but the same result continues... Once i close iTunes, it just dives off of a cliff into oblivion. Makes sense now why that would work. That option I suppose would reappear for that one time before closing it out.

Also, iTunes updated today... No change, still the same thing that's been a problem for a few months now.

Strikes me as odd though that whatever is happening, the preferences get changed and the option to display cloud content goes AWOL. This seems to be the problem, it's a matter of trying to figure out why it goes missing.

EDIT:
Now that we know why the content does show up, a Google search shows this has been a problem for some people since 2013... >.>

iTunes library missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.