Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Win7 hangs between install and configure on iMac

Hi, everyone --

I have an older (2010) 27-in iMac running Yosemite, 4 Gb Ram and 1 Tb HD. Trying to install Windows 7 via Boot Camp, with original Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit install CD/DVD. Per instructions with Boot Camp made .iso file and installed it on a USB flash drive, to which I also had Boot Camp download support software. Installation seems to go fine until last step of Win 7 install from CD -- but just after reboot following "Finishing Installation", where I assume it's supposed to go to the Configure stage (between #s 6 and 7 on the Boot Camp instructions), it simply goes to a black screen and stays there. I've tried powering off and doing an option-reboot to select the Windows partition, but it does the same thing -- just an inert black screen. I've tried starting in Safe Mode (several flavors), but Windows says Windows can't complete installation in Safe Mode, so restart, whereupon -- you guessed it -- black screen. I've spent the better part of two days trying to get this to work and am feeling lost. Anyone able to offer some help?

Brent in Oregon

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 3:20 PM

7 replies

Mar 30, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Brent Weaver

On Macs with built-in Optical drives, you need both the Windows installation media (CD/DVD) and a USB containing the BC drivers only. If you copy the ISO manually to the USB, you will run into issues as you have observed. I suggest using the CD/DVD and USB both, run BCA and remove the current partially installed Windows (do not use any other tool) and start over again. Please ensure that your USB is a USB2 device. USB3 devices will supported once the BC drivers are installed after Windows is fully installed, if your iMac supports USB3.

Mar 30, 2015 7:15 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks, Loner T, that seemed like it would work. I tried removing the .iso and used a USB2 flash drive, but unfortunately it still hung after the install stage, and I am now looking at the Black Screen of Despair. My lovely 27-in iMac is sitting there sneering at me. I've tried a power off and option-restart to select the newly-installed Windows partition, but that hasn't worked either. I appreciate the help very much, but do you or anyone else have any suggestions?

Mar 30, 2015 7:30 PM in response to Brent Weaver

The primary issue seems to be a GPU issue.

From iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications

Graphics and video support

• 3.2GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory
  • 2.8GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 5750 graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

From iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) - Technical Specifications

• 3.06GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory
  • 2.66GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

From iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) - Technical Specifications

• 3.06GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
  • 3.2GHz
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

Even though you have a 27-in 2010 iMac, you should look at Boot Camp: iMac displays a black screen during installation of Windows 7 - Apple Support.

Win7 hangs between install and configure on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.