Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help setting up linksys E2500 with OSX 10.9.5 - no connection

I just received a new linksys E2500 router to set up with my RCN service.

My MacBook Pro is running OSX 10.9.5 and I know I cant use the linksys connect software to set it up but I am having no luck setting it up manually. Neither my laptop or my phone (iPhone 5S) can see the router when it is plugged in. Trying to connect via 192.168.1.1 doesn't work - says there is no internet connection if wired to router, if hardwired to modem it just spins. (I have tried via Safari, Firefox and Chrome) When I hardwire modem-> computer my internet is fine. but when I connect router to modem and then hardwire from router to computer via ethernet ports, my laptop says nothing is connected via ethernet.

I have a technician from RCN coming later this week, but I really want to get this working sooner. Any help would be appreciated!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 5:48 PM

4 replies

Mar 30, 2015 6:28 PM in response to CMCSK

I have already spent 40 minutes on the phone with RCN and another hour in online chat with linksys support. No matter what I tell them their solutional are all dependent on connecting to the router somehow, but that is the issue. With wired connections from modem to router to laptop my mac still will not see the router.

I saw no harm in posing the question here in case others have had the issue -- and from the linksys forums it seems this issue is not unheard of and that linksys support is... not helpful.

Mar 30, 2015 6:46 PM in response to MariaVII

MariaVII wrote:

my laptop says nothing is connected via ethernet.

Where did it say that? Network Diagnostics?

First contact your ISP. You need to confirm that the issue is not on their end.

Change your router channel. Sometimes this is all you will have to do.

Power cycling the router. Read the router's user manual or contact their tech support for instructions.

System Preferences/Internet & Network/Network

Unlock the padlock

Locations: Automatic

Highlight Airport

Click the Assist Me button

In the popup window click the Diagnostic button.

System Preferences/Network- Unlock padlock. Highlight Airport. Network Name-select your name. Click on the Advanced button. Airport/Preferred Networks-delete all that is not your network.

Place a check mark next to "Remember networks this computer has joined." Click the OK button and lock the padlock. Restart your computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1920 Mac OS: How to release and renew a DHCP lease

No internet connection (wireless)

Check to see if an extra entry is present in the DNS Tab for your wireless connection (System Preferences/Network/Airport/Advanced/DNS).

Delete all extra entries that you find.

Place a check mark next to "Remember networks this computer has joined."

Other resources to check into:

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues in OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

Configuring 802.1X in Mac OS X Lion and Later

Non-responsive DNS server or invalid DNS configuration can cause long delay before webpages load

Netspot

How to diagnose and resolve Wi-Fi slow-downs

Pv6 troubleshooting

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Solving problems with connecting to the Internet

OS X Mountain Lion: Check the status of your network connections

OS X Mountain Lion: Requirements for wireless Internet access

What Affects Wireless Internet?

Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting

If using one of Apple's Airport routers, read its user manual or post in its forum area. If using a 3rd party router, read its user manual, contact their tech support department/website or post in its forum area. Another possible solution - read mammothsuziq response https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4096745?answerId=22082360022#22082360022

User uploaded file

Mar 31, 2015 7:09 AM in response to CMCSK

CMCSK, I appreciate your reply.

CMCSK wrote:

MariaVII wrote:

my laptop says nothing is connected via ethernet.

Where did it say that? Network Diagnostics?

Yes, under the Ethernet Connection. I am not using an Airport Router...As I said in my initial inquiry, it is a Linksys E2500. I am on OS 10.9.5 so many of the 10.6 solutions you provide are not valid, because, from what I have been reading online, this is an issue that has cropped up since Mavericks. It seems some people have been successful in getting it to work - Im just trying to learn how they did that.

My connection from my ISP is fine. As I said above, when I connect via Ethernet from Modem directly to Laptop, the connection is perfect. It is the laptop and the iphone that refuse to recognize the existence of the linksys router (either wirelessly, or via ethernet cable).

Help setting up linksys E2500 with OSX 10.9.5 - no connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.