Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac User

I was given my friend's MacBook OS X Version 10.7.5 when he upgraded to the latest technology because my beloved laptop died. A wonderful friend! Previously I was Windows user.

I have a Cannon Scanner/printer which I thought I would hook up to the MacBook and I get this message:

"You can't open the application setUp because PowerPC applications are no longer supported".

Therefore do any of you lovely people out there - have a solution or am I going to have to go and buy a new scanner/printer because there is no solution.

Thanking you in advance,

MacBook

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2015 10:56 PM

That message indicates that the Canon software you are trying to use is too antiquated for the version of OS X as well as the hardware on the MacBook.

Have you checked on Canon's support site for new software that will work with the version of OS X on the MacBook?

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support

5 replies

Apr 2, 2015 8:51 PM in response to R Harris NZ

Like Don stated, that error means that the current version of the printer software is too outdated for your current OS on that mac. That is a common error with newer mac users trying to run older software. Check for the latest software update on the printer's company's official website, or at least find a version that runs on your specific operating system. If that printer/scanner is completely outdated and you could not find any newer software for it, I am afraid that you might have to buy yourself a new printer.

Hope this help R Harris NZ!

Apr 2, 2015 11:13 PM in response to R Harris NZ

You may not need Canon's scanning software, or a new scanner/printer.

As of "Lion" and later versions of OS X all scanning functions are incorporated natively in OS X.

You can scan three ways:

• Use Preview: File > Import from scanner
  • Use Image Capture

(Preview and Image Capture are both in your Applications folder.)

• System Preferences > Print & Scan. Select your device and use the Scan tab.

New Mac User

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.