Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My grandson has autism and needs this ipad. the screen is black and will not unlock. tried the 2 button trick restart, screen was black with white apple, then went white screen with black apple, then went dark again. I really need help unlocking

How do I unlock this thing. My grandson has autism and he uses it constantly. It is his friend. please help!!

iPad 2, iOS 8.0.2

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 4:55 PM

5 replies

Mar 31, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Shawnee55912

Recharging the battery is never a bad idea, but you might need to restore the iPad if this behavior continues. I would try the reset again - a couple of more times at least. Hold down on the sleep and home buttons for at least 10 seconda and wait for the Apple Logo to appear on the screen. If that keeps failing, you should probably try restoring the iPad.

Before you restore the iPad, do you have a backup? Restoring will erase the device.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

If that won't work, you can try this.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 2, 2015 7:10 PM in response to Doctor9fan

the ipad is charged. I still tried to reset. It still shows a black screen first, then a white screen with a black apple. It still talks and says the time and the screen will not unlock. Help! This little boy misses his friend. If I have to restore, how do I do it? I do not have back up still. he just has his apps. I can reload from apple website.

Apr 2, 2015 7:11 PM in response to Demo

the ipad is charged. I still tried to reset. It still shows a black screen first, then a white screen with a black apple. It still talks and says the time and the screen will not unlock. Help! This little boy misses his friend. If I have to restore, how do I do it? I do not have back up still. he just has his apps. I can reload from apple website.

Apr 2, 2015 7:20 PM in response to Shawnee55912

If it has NEVER been jailbroke, here are some standard repair procedures:

First, try a system reset (which is what you may have already done but I want to be sure)...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore (or it doesn't help), go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. You WILL lose all of your data (game scores, etc,) but, for the most part, you can redownload apps and music without being charged again. Also, read this.

My grandson has autism and needs this ipad. the screen is black and will not unlock. tried the 2 button trick restart, screen was black with white apple, then went white screen with black apple, then went dark again. I really need help unlocking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.