Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change who my macbook is registered to?

My husband bought me a MacBook Pro for Christmas in 2012, but before he gave it to me he registered it under his Apple ID. I use the computer, but all our stuff is merged and he gets my reminders and I get his contacts and so on. How do I unregister it from him or make it so we can both use it with out all our stuff merging?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 30, 2015 3:48 PM

1 reply

Mar 30, 2015 5:41 PM in response to sandyfromlangley

The most thorough way to do what you need is to erase the Mac and reinstall its originally installed version of OS X, but assuming you and your spouse are fairly close to one another and merely inconvenienced by getting each other's reminders and so forth (vs. being complete strangers and concerned about the loss of personal information) simply "sign out" of all iCloud services, and sign in again using your own Apple ID.

You may still encounter occasions in which you will need his Apple ID, such as updating software or playing music that he may have purchased using his Apple ID instead of yours.

Go to System Preferences > iCloud, and sign out. Select "Delete from this Mac" when it appears.

Then, sign out of each app that is tied to an Apple ID. For example, in Calendar, go to Preferences > Accounts. Select the account you do not wish to use and then click the [—] (minus) button. If you get an alert that the account is "shared using iCloud", return to System Preferences and de-selct that account.

Then, sign in to iCloud using your own Apple ID.

The brute force method in which you are parting with the Mac to someone outside the family (erasing everything) is probably overkill in your circumstance.

How do I change who my macbook is registered to?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.